1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Modifying Lexan(?) Cover over Stock Headunit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Scafremon, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Scafremon

Scafremon Junior Member

I've spent a couple hours reading this forum, hoping to find where someone has removed the stock headunit, and then utilized that freed-up dash space. It appears everyone mounts there new headunit elsewhere, and leaves the stock unit in place, to maintain the clean look of the dash (a goal I agree with).

Has anyone investigated having a custom replacement lexan (I'm calling it lexan, but not sure if this is correct) face piece made, so that they could install their aftermarket headunit in the same area? I'm guessing the curve of the piece would make it tougher (more expensive) to fabricate, whereas a flat piece would be fairly simple to produce.

Another option might be to mount the new headunit in the commonly used map space below the radio, and then flush in a portable GPS unit into the area where the stock radio was.

Can the stock lexan piece be removed from the stock head unit? Maybe this piece could be re-used with a new headunit, after some cutting, and possibly removing some of the painted on typing. The existing holes for controls/buttons might be used for other purposeful switches, or cleanly blanked off.

Please advise your thoughts on this as I mull this over in my head.

Jeff

2. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You could simply invest in this Metra kit:
    http://www.metraonline.com/downloads/pdf/T...INST99-8213.pdf
    I believe it's made out of ABS (black plastic).
    It would be trickier to custom fabricate something out of smoked plexiglass (Lexan)
    but could be done, I suppose.
    Most folks hang on to the stock head unit for:
    1.) Maintaining the steering wheel controls and MFD interface
    2.) Maintaining the stock look
    3.) Maintaining the buletooth functionality & Nav system interaction with the stock audio.

Those with the JBL audio system also typically keep the JBL amp in place to presereve some functionality, although many have added on with new equilization, amplification, & speakers down-stream of the factory amp.

There are kits available that would allow you to preserve the steering wheel controls even if you removed the factory head unit. Interaction with the MFD is something I've only seen done with the factory head unit and some units made to work with the factory head unit in place (like the Dice, Vais, etc.)

Good Luck!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scafremon @ Nov 23 2007, 12:34 AM) [snapback]543125[/snapback]</div>