1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

modifying seat covers for side airbags

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by pmanza, Feb 24, 2009.

1. pmanza

pmanza Fernsmom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi everyone, I have a question that I am hoping someone will know the answer to. I found some pretty nice generic sheepskin seat covers for $69 at my local autoparts store. They are a little big for hte seat bottom, but look ok if you pull them down tight. But the problem is they are not made for side airbags. I was thinking to just cut a flap in hte side of the seat cover from about two inches down from the top to about two inches above the bottom, and then make two cross cuts, one at he top and one at the bottom to essentially create a giant flap. Then I thought I could just use a small piece of velcro to keep the flap attached to the seat fabric. My thinking is that if the airbag went off, the flap would just pop open and voila! the air bag comes out no problem.

Does this seem like it would work and be safe to you? When I look on line for "airbag modified" seat covers, it looks like all they do is leave a hole where the bag would pop out at.

I appreciate your feedback. For those interested in comfort, I also bought a $15 seat heater pad and put that on under hte sheepskin. totally hidden but still can feel the heat throughtthe sheep.; Am also playing around with neck pillows that I can stick under the headrest cover for additional cushioning (that headrest is wicked hard and uncomfortable). NOt having much luck there, am wondering about safety of turning headrests backwards and putting additional cushioning over that. Thoughts?

Thanks again
    Fernsmom:p

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi fernsmom,

Take a look at galaxee's photo of GT seat covers on her Prius. See how and where GT did the flap for the side airbag:

Good luck.

3. pmanza

pmanza Fernsmom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    does anyone else have any thoughts on the safety of my proposed seat cover mod? I just want to be sure I am safe before I take the scissors to them!!!

Thanks
    Fernsmom:confused: