1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Modifying the JDM Car Mate LS-137 shift knob for the Prius"v."

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Mike500, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I ordered and received today, the JDM Car Mate LS-137 shift knob.

I am more impressed with the designed and engineering that went into the package than the shift knob, itself.

Unfortunately, the knob was designed for the regular Prius Generations II and III, and NOT the "v."

NOT really an issue, though. I'll drill and tap it out on my Sherline micro-lathe.

When I do that, I post photos.

Winters are not particularly cold where I live, but I wonder how the knob would look in Lignum vitae, Arizona iron wood, or just even black walnut.

Attached Files:

2. wmh37

wmh37 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    What about the ironwood, Mike?
    wmh37

Mike500 likes this.
  3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, William,

I have some on order. It's not cheap, though.

Rude person's

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Not really,

This is what I mean. The "v" shifter shaft is longer than the shaft on regular Prius shifter. I had to make may trial an error drilling into the shift knob to get the depth of the hole right.

Due to production parameters, it would be very difficult for Razo to get the knob to "lock" in the correct position, should the knob's top be engraved with the correct shift pattern. That's why the provided a sticker. I you notice the sticker is made for a right hand drive shifter.

Attached Files:

6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I got some of that Arizona Sonoran ironwood today, and I am really impressed.

Like true Lignum vitae, Brazilian rosewood, Arizona ironwood has become a protected species. I really don't know how long it will be available. It machines wonderfully. I've heard that some of the stuff is 1600 years old and does NOT decay much at all in the desert.

Most of the ironwood available is imported from Mexico and harvested by the Seri Indian Tribe. The wood is a protected species in the United States.

It is used in custom knife handles and custom pistol grips, as well as custom made pens.

So, this wood will make a really nice shift knob which is easy on the hands both in the Summer and the Winter.

I am surprise on how well it threads with machine tools. I thought it might require a metal insert, buy I NOW don't believe so. I'll keep everyone posted as I proceed.

Rude person's

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Done!

Attached Files: