1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mods and Warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by psibill, Jul 9, 2006.

1. psibill

psibill Junior Member

Just wondering what experiences, if any, folks have had when getting their Prius serviced and/or repaired under warranty at a Toyota shop with any modifications installed.

Comments?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never, not once, has anyone reported any issues with warranty repairs being denied due to any sort of mod.

That said, if one has an EV button and your battery prematurely dies it is theoretically possible that a pissy dealer could report that EV button and try to deny replacement saying that it was that mod that caused the battery to prematurely die. However, even if that occured the onus is on the part of the dealer to prove that the mod caused the premature failure. The Magnuson-Moss act is your friend here. You can mod away and as long as your mods do not cause the problem you're entitled to warranty service.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 9 2006, 08:27 PM) [snapback]283620[/snapback]</div>
    I'll quote it here so you can read it twice. If we had a FAQ, this question would be VERY near the top.

My personal experience in modifying the snot out of several very espensive - and in many cases irreplaceable - vehicles is that there is simply no problem with warranty service. And really there can't be - by law.... unless you screw something up! NOTE: This information applies to the United States of America.

4. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jul 9 2006, 08:54 PM) [snapback]283631[/snapback]</div>
    Just a reminder though that not all countries have the same laws - so it really depends where you buy your car. I just got the steering service notice for my '04, and I'm pondering temporarily unwiring my EV mod before bringing it in (as they need to take that section of dash apart to do the repair).

Also prevents them pulling out a wire they don't know anything about (not in their instructions) and messing something up.

Dave

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The right side or the left side of the dash? I don't remember which EV mod you have. Mine actually nicely placed Coastal's chip against the side where I had left it hanging before taking it in for the ECU update

6. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only problem with mods that I am aware is if the modification causes a part or component to fail.