1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mods and warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by AlphaTeam, Aug 4, 2004.

1. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got to thinking will all these mods void my warranty?

I am planning on the EV switch. Now I don't think that is one they will notice.
    BUT
    the autolock at 15 MPH they will for sure. If I take it in for anything and they test drive it they will notice that the doors lock.

Even the EV switch. It might be something they test for if enough people do it. I'm not experenced with Toyota, but I can see a company sticking it to you to get out of a warranty.

Does anyone know how that will work?

Alpha

2. mboileau

mboileau New Member

You can search for this discussion in multiple threads, but AFAIK, Evan and I have both brought our modified cars to the dealer for service, even discussed the mods with them, and there wasn't a problem. Their philosophy was "as long as the Check Engine light doesn't come on, we don't care".

3. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The scary part of that is if the check engine light comes on for a reason unrelated to the mods and the mods get noticed and questioned!

4. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

my recent experience with toyota does not suggest a 'liberal' warranty policy. of course, i had a physical crack in my display screen, which they consider questionable (never mind that the car only had 600 miles on it and i am a techno-geek who knows full well how to handle a touch screen)

in any event they ended up fixing it, but only after over a month, and the manufacturer of the screen tried to deny it as well, even after the toyota regional rep had approved it, leaving me in the middle of that for a week more!

of course, i also bought out of state so i did not have any kind of relationship with the dealer. and they did a nice job on the repair.

5. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That is what I'm afraid of. I work on computers. As computer people know there are tons of different areas for something to go wrong. I've had it where I've worked on a customers PC and something totally unrelated to what I worked on breaks. And it looks like "I" did something wrong. But the customer doesn't always understand that working on this part doesn't effect the other thing. All they know is its broken now and he must have done it.

I don't want that to happen with a car. I can see them saying an EV switch caused the battery to fail and not replace it. Or the display goes bad because of that movie player that had nothing to do with it.

Alpha

6. mboileau

mboileau New Member

One of my recommendations in another thread for making mods was to ALWAYS use fast-on crimped connectors rather than soldering. If you're introducing a switch or a circuit in-line to an existing wire, then attach a male spade to one end of the existing wire and a female plug to the other end, attach mating crimped connectors to the ends of the new wires on your new circuit/switch. Then, if you need to bring the car in for service, simply detach the connectors for your new circuit and re-attach the existing wire back together. As long as your new connections are easily accessible, it's trivial to add or remove a modification.

7. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The ECU will probably 'remember' existence and use of some mods, and almost certainly the EV switch. You and I know the system does a great job of protecting itself, and the EV mod can't hurt anything.

I've done virtually every mod there is, and nothing that should damage anything or impact the warranty - but have never tested Toyota's policy. I've seen a credible report that the memory lasts 40 start cycles, by the way. If my system conks out I plan to disconnect the EV mod, etc., then go through 40+ start cycles (if I can!), then have it fixed. That's much easier than arguing.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They would be on very weak ground if they denied warranty service as the result of a mod to an unrelated part. However, if there's reason to think the mod could have been responsible, then you may be on weak ground.

The bottom line is, Don't make any modifications to the car if you are not willing to take the chance

I was reluctant at first myself, but I really really wanted the EV switch, and in the very unlikely event that something goes wrong (it is, after all, a Toyota) and in the further unlikely event that they balk, I can afford to pay for repairs.

But it is a gamble, so if you cannot afford to be responsible for repairs, you have to decide if you want to take that (I think small) chance. I probably would not have done the mod if a repair bill could have meant losing the car.

(But I really like having the EV switch. I have not yet seen any other mod I'd want even if it was factory-approved.)

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The door locks will cause you warranty trouble if you screw up the door locking mechanism or anything directly affiliated with that. If your ICE throws a rod or your HV battery dies a premature death they can't blame an auto door lock. Did you ever install your own car stereo or speakers? That's as much a 'mod' as any of these things.

The EV button, though hidden, is probably your bigger warranty concern. If your HVECU dies or you have HV Battery problems that they can claim are due to too deep or too frequent of discharge and want to blame your EV button/mod for that then you may have a hard case convincing them it's not the EVb's fault. I've accepted that I may have to shell out $4000 for a new battery or $2000 for a new ECU if an issue of that sort arises...if you're not willing to accept that kinda risk then do not do that kind of mod.

The NAV speed sensor/BT speed sensor/Engine/brake indicator/auto-door lock, etc....really shouldn't be an issue of any kind with the major components of your car but may cause warranty issues with any components directly related to those mods.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Actually, I had the CD player in my previous car professionally installed. I never would have attempted that myself.

And as for the EV mod, I finally decided I wanted it badly enough to take the risk, though I judge the risk to be low. If I lose the bet I can pay for the repair.

As for the chances of the battery dying before 100,000 miles due to increased swings in SOC, I'm relying on the fact that it's a Toyota, that the mod is still using the car's protective program and circuitry, and that I gather there are Classics with over 100,000 and nary a battery problem. Plus I'm only keeping this car until the next generation Prius comes out.

Given all that, it's a risk I accept. I would not recommend it to anyone who would experience hardship if they had to suddenly spend $4000 to fix the car.

11. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's important to understand that the EV mod really does *nothing* to change wear and tear on the battery, motors, or charge mechanisms. All of that is exquisitely controlled by the car's built-in management systems.