1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Modular Cars - The future?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by DaveG, May 18, 2006.

1. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A very interesting read from Dan's Data:

<blockquote>The obvious solution is to slim down the battery, install an engine, and start making advertisements for your new hybrid vehicle that include a lot of peaceful greenery. But then you're burning petroleum for pretty much every trip again, and a hundred kilometre highway cruise now uses about as much fuel as it would if you were in an ordinary car.

The solution is simple, if strange: Make the engine optional. And put it in a little trailer.

Suppose you're in the market for a new car, and you only need short range, and you're happy to plug your car in overnight to charge it. In this case, you just buy the electric car without the engine-trailer. If and when you want to do long trips, you buy the engine. Or just rent an engine, not a whole car, when necessary.</blockquote>

> Dan's Data - Modular Cars

I don't necessarily agree with his view on hybrids, because as we all know, they DO save more gas than non-hybrids, but it is an interesting idea...

(BTW: Dan is a computer and technology author/reviewer from Australia, and has lots of great reviews and articles on his site - a very entertaining read!)

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    An interesting idea that has been around for a LONG time. And it works. Here we are with the "modular" Rav4EV.

http://www.darelldd.com/ev/rav_longranger.htm

I'm soon going to be a bit more intimate with this very trailer than I ever thought I would be. But that's a secret for right now.

As for "Dan," he draws some erroneous conclusions about why we don't have EVs, but then he's just repeating the most common "reasons" that float around out there. Be nice to have a bio-diesel generator trailer for this solution.

3. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good stuff, I just sent Dan that link!

Dave

4. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Oh I love this little car Cute car

I guess many people wouldn't think it was to safew though huh :huh:

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveG @ May 18 2006, 03:18 AM) [snapback]257402[/snapback]</div>
    I notice that the link to my page is now on his page... not sure if it was there before. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tracysbeans @ May 18 2006, 07:45 AM) [snapback]257473[/snapback]</div>
    Or the high-performance version that IS very safe: http://www.darelldd.com/ev/tango.htm

Tracy, I'm getting to your email. Too many things happening today!

6. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 18 2006, 05:37 PM) [snapback]257722[/snapback]</div>
    That's a skinny little car. I guess you could park just about anywhere with that. LOL

No rush on getting to my e-mail. Just when you can. I appreciate you letting me e-mail.