1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mogadishu, Where Even The Taliban Look Good

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ghostofjk, Jun 18, 2006.

1. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Here's half an article from today's Washington Post. Just goes to show (once again) how everything's relative.

Somali Women Gave Crucial Support for Islamic Militias

By Craig Timberg
    Washington Post Foreign Service
    Sunday, June 18, 2006; Page A12

MOGADISHU, Somalia, June 17 -- Sometimes, the women here said, it began with a knock on the door after dark or with a kidnapping in broad daylight. And sometimes, the gunmen who ruled this city would use a long, sharp knife to slice open the tin shacks of poor families and snatch their daughters away.

The girls would return -- if they returned -- in the morning, sobbing and marked permanently as castoffs in a traditional Islamic society that demands virginity at marriage.

Women such as this protester, denouncing a proposed deployment of foreign peacekeepers in her country, are playing an active role in Somalia's political life. When fighting broke out in January, women took to the airwaves on local radio stations and denounced the warlords who had controlled Somalia since the government collapsed in 1991.
    "Four-year-old girls, 5-year-old girls were raped," said Anab Mohamed Isaaq, 35, a solemn, long-faced widow who has two girls among her five children. "I was scared for my daughters."

An epidemic of sexual violence during 15 years of lawlessness in Somalia was among the factors that strengthened opposition to this city's notorious warlords, residents said. The Islamic militias who drove them out in months of recent fighting were embraced as keepers of public order, as a force strong enough and pious enough to keep Mogadishu's daughters safe.

That helped the militias win the support of Mogadishu's increasingly influential women, who in recent years had joined the job market en masse to support their families in the midst of a collapsing economy. On streets throughout this ruined city, they sold vegetables, plastic jugs of gasoline and khat, a popular, addictive leaf chewed widely here.

"Women were doing what men used to do here," said Shariff Osman, 45, dean of the faculty at Mogadishu University. "They were paying the bills."

When fighting broke out in January, the airwaves suddenly were full of angry denunciations of the secular warlords and support for the Islamic militias fighting them. Most of the callers were women, said Somalis who monitored the political upheaval as it played out on radio talk shows.

And though it was guns and not words that chased away the warlords, the intensity of the public revulsion for them provided crucial support for the Islamic militias as they advanced through this oceanside capital, analysts, activists and business leaders say.

"Somalia was saved because of the Somali women," said Khadija O. Ali, 47, founder of a women's group here and a graduate student in conflict resolution at George Mason University. "I think it is even something that the men acknowledge now. Finally."

At the top of the list of their concerns, Ali and other women said, was curbing murder, robbery and rape in one of the world's most dangerous cities.

In the absence of a central government -- the last one fell to the warlords in 1991 -- city leaders chose to deal with these problems by establishing traditional Islamic courts, with one overseeing the members of each of the city's dozen or so leading families. The courts relied on Islamic law, which calls for thieves' hands to be amputated, murderers to be publicly executed and rapists to either die or face public lashings, depending on the circumstances of the case. (Residents say that, in practice, jail sentences have been far more common punishments for crimes.)

One such court was set up last year, Ali said, after four gunmen knocked on the door of a home shortly before midnight and demanded that the man inside turn over his 20-year-old stepdaughter. She returned the next day in tears, said a neighbor, who spoke on the condition on anonymity.

2. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Something else to note is that the warlords who are being supported could very well be terrorists themselves... under the definition that they terrorize others. I heard someone on one of the news channels talking about these warlords. I wonder if the media will start labeling them as 'freedom fighters.'

3. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This reminds me of the quote often misused about giving up freedom for security and obtaining neither. In extreme cases such as this, perhaps the women are making the best choice of what we would consider a choice between two bad things ... repressive Islam or rape and torture.

But their culture already has the repressiveness of Islam built in, which makes the rape and torture even more untenable. So Islamic Law appears better than chaos.

How sad for these women and girls. They should be able to taste freedom, and choice, and all the things humans are designed for. Instead they must make a Hobson's choice.

4. Mirza

Mirza New Member

If their power is cemented, I hope that one day they can come to terms with their beliefs/theology and be more reasonable in terms of modernity.

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Jun 21 2006, 08:17 AM) [snapback]274578[/snapback]</div>
    ?

6. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

I assume Mirza is talking about something like the hope that someday, not only will they protect the young girls, but accept even those who have been violated into society as equals.

You don't HAVE to take everything at a slant, guys.

7. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Sorry I was not clear, but that is the gyst of what I was saying. If these Islamic warlords are able to maintain and expand their power... I would hope that, one day, they would modernize and not have such strict rule... particularly on the women.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geologyrox @ Jun 21 2006, 08:49 AM) [snapback]274588[/snapback]</div>
    Could you elaborate?

8. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

When I wrote that, I managed to read more into dbermanmd's "?" than was there - which is (embarassingly enough) what I was trying to say we ought not to do.

I think it's running through my head because I keep seeing people (on both sides of every issue!) being deliberately obtuse, and sometimes rude, with regard to the others position

9. Mirza

Mirza New Member

I believe self-reflection to be a quality... IE the ability to be humble and admit a potential error in thinking :). Thanks for sharing.