1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Moisture In 07 Prius Touring Lens -Burned Out Halogen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by John6012, Oct 10, 2012.

1. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yesterday I noticed in my 2007 Prius Touring that there was condensation inside the drivers headlight plastic lens. Today I took the entire unit out of the car and used a hair dryer to dry out the moisture-which worked. I had to take out the halogen bulb to do this and I reinserted the bulb correctly and reconnected the wiring and before I did all the work reinstalling the unit I turned on the headlights and the drivers light flashed and died a quick death.

I went to Oreilly's and ordered a bulb and it'll be there at 4 PM for pickup. My question is, did I do something wrong? There is a rattle in the headlight assembly but it work perfectly before. I really don't want to buy another bulb at $173.00!!!!! and find that it burns out too. Oreilley's doesn't have an alternative bulb so I'm stuck with the huge bill for a single bulb. Any aftermarket places? Internet? I have to go out of town Friday and need both headlights for safety.

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Halogen bulbs are more like $10 so I think you ordered the wrong thing. If it has three flat prongs sticking out of the base it's halogen.

HID bulbs are more expensive OEM Phillips are about $50 on Amazon.

3. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I believe it is a HID bulb, mine has a flat bottom with a center connect. I'll check Amazon, thanks!

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Make sure they are supplied by Amazon not a third party as there are some cheap knock offs available. Do not touch the glass on the bulb, if you do clean with meths or surgical spirit.

5. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I ordered a pair of bulbs off of Ebay for $54.00 including 2 day shipping an sI can only pray that that'll do the trick. Is there a separate fuse for each headlight?

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There are five yes five fuse in total for the headlamps. They are all in the large fuse box under the hood.

They are:-
    HI LH 10 amp
    HI RH 10 amp
    LO LH 15 amp
    LO RH 15 amp
    HEAD MAIN 40 amp

7. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks, I'm going to check the fuses tomorrow after I get home from the doctor.

8. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    All the above is great, but, the moisture problem needs to be fixed first. This is a common problem in Prii of that year model. I suggest searching in the forums here for more details.

9. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I plan on using some clear silicone to seal the cap that screws on after the bulb is installed. I should have left the car alone and not messed with the light. I usually keep it in the garage and if it rains don't drive it but regardless, if the weather gets hot and then cools overnight, condensation forms. Unfortunately it took this opportunity to condensate inside the head light lens.

10. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Gotter fixed, needed to afix and twist the power cable/connection. Hands are buggered up somewhat due to the small area of work but it's worth the effort. Thanks to all for your help!