1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

moisture in tail light assemblies

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by grharman, Nov 30, 2013.

1. grharman

grharman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2013 III with 8k on the clock and discovered a few hours after washing it there was moisture in both of the tail light assemblies. Has anyone else seen this? It evaporated several hours later, which made me wonder if the assemblies were vented instead of sealed. Does anyone know if they are sealed or vented?

2. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Hello there!

I noticed moisture in the front headlights a few days after I took home my new prius. It has since gone and after 2 months of ownership, I haven't seen them back. On your owners manual, there is a little note about this saying that it is normal. Perhaps it is caused by the lens being exposed to sudden temperature swings?

Whatever the case, I wouldn't be too worried about them. I don't think they are vented or else dust would get into them and make them blurry in the long run.

3. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The moisture in the lamp is not normal, IMO.

Toyota covers there butt by saying it's normal in the manual.

I had moisture the first day after a rain storm in the evening. The dealer said it's normal. (BS)
    They wont fix it.

MY FIX:
    I took the bumper off and removed the lights. Wrapped the headlight seams with black electrical tape and it has never gotten foggy or developed condensation droplets with 45k miles, so far.

my2cents.

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Temporary condensation does not indicate a malfunction. However, if you're getting persistent moisture (dries up during the day but returns nightly) or actual water droplets it's definitely not normal. I had one of my LED headlights replaced under warranty for this reason (due to a split seal).

5. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great Job.