1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Moisture Inside Tail Lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by deh2k, Jan 29, 2006.

1. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I noticed a week or so ago that my tail lights had moisture condensation inside. I've had the car for about 15 months and this is the first time I noticed it. I also don't know where it came from, though the weather has been pretty weird here lately (below 0 F one day, 55 F and rainy the next). It's in both lights, and they appear fine otherwise, so I don't believe it's a crack or broken seal. My best guess is that it's caused by moisture from inside the car.

I am interested if anyone has suggestions of what to do about it. Should I ignore it, dry them out somehow, try to get them replaced, or ...?
    [attachmentid=2036]

2. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I thinkit says in the manual that you may sometimes get some moisture in the head/tail lights. It says it's normal and transient. It also says that if you see A LOT of liquid inside to get it checked by Toyota. Not sure what they mean by a lot, but I think you may be OK. It's probably the weather, which could certainly cause condensation. Just keep an eye on it and see if it changes over the next couple of days/week.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

next time the sun shines park it tail to sun and leave it the moisture will leave thru the tiny vent hole on the back of the housing. This is normal.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm.. moisture cant be good. it only corrodes the contacts. being in a somewhat wet state (we average 100% humidity for more than half of every winter) moisture in the tail lights today means a shorting system with a car that needs to be jumped to get it started. i would take it in right away. if it aint a problem, then it aint, but i wouldnt take the chance

5. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had enough condensation on the inside of both tail lights that when the temperature was below freezing the frost almost totally blocked the brake and signal lights from being seen. Showed the dealer that on a cold afternoon and wound up two weeks later with two new tail lights.

Wayne