1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mold Smell...2012

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by WiseOwl, Oct 9, 2013.

1. WiseOwl

WiseOwl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just bought the Prius 2012-3 Sunday. It's a certified Pre Owned with 9,000 miles. One owner purchased in July of 2011. When I test drove it I told the salesman it had a strong odor. Stunk like smelly socks combined with bad BO. I seriously thought it was coming from him, although he had on a thick layer of cheap cologne to mask it.
    He told me he didn't smell anything..typical. Meanwhile he said to just out some air freshener in it and febreeze it, and that should take care of it.
    Got the car home, totally aired it out, sprayed the seats, dusted, detailed and left windows open in my garage overnight.
    The following day I noticed the smell got worse with the air on, fresh air ode or circulating mode....and really bad when the fan blew with air off...
    Went online and found hundreds of complaints regarding smells in several models of Toyotas and tons regarding the Prius, but mainly in older models....
    Took car in and demanded a new cabin filter...still smells....
    I'm very sensitive to mold, mites and mildew. This smell is atrocious. It actually rubs off on my clothes and hair too.
    The front seats stink of the odor, but the back doesn't.

I have a open case right now after I called Corporate with the issue. Will update this when I find out what they will do for me. As far as I'm concerned the fixes won't work now that the mold has effected the cushions. They can try to mask it all with flowery scents and they can wash coils etc, but the smell will more than likely return.
    I want another car and feel should get one. I'm very disillusioned with Toyota currently having just lost a ton of money trading in my Prius-C after 3 weeks when I realized it was way too small and had no power. This second prius cost me a fortune with the loss of the other. The thought of having it for the next 7 years while I pay it off is anxiety producing not to mention as source of danger to my health.

Any thoughts or similar experiences? I'm not a complainer by nature, but this is some serious bad Car-ma.

On a last note, I'm much happier with the larger car and realize my biggest mistake was buying the small C on an impulse.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the appropriate forum.

3. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need to probably clean the AC evaporator. There are a couple of threads on this issue.

4. WiseOwl

WiseOwl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the reply, yes I've read them all....just concerned that the smell has effected the fabric....Worried the fixes are temporary and will need constant attention. This just doesn't seem right.
    I've had plenty of cars, but this issue never came up...it seems pretty well known and doesn't seem like it's with every car....I paid too much money to have this reoccurring every few months...

5. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recently got the start of some smelly moisture in the car.
    It turns out I was home for a week and the car was driven on local roads all week, 25 -30mph range.
    As soon as I went back to work on the open highway 40 mile commute, the smell went away.

So the local short drives during humid weather, seems to cause my car to smell musty.

my2cents

6. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    After cleaning the evaporator, you may be able to minimize or even eliminate the issue by not using the recirc setting all the time. Turn off the A/C about 5 mins before stopping the car and allow the fans to blow to help dry it out.

It won't always help but it can't hurt to try. In my Camry, it never seemed to help no matter what I tried and the dealer didn't notice any smell, and in fact stated that they never heard of it.

The seats and interior fabric can be cleaned by the dealership or they have a detailer that can do the work.

7. WiseOwl

WiseOwl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Will take your advices, thank you so much. I have only been using outside air but semi resent that I have to. I'm inhaling fumes, cigarettes and every other smell that enters...yesterday that was cow dung from newly planted golf course greens!
    I will ask for everything I get in hopes it gets resolved, but like you, I fear they will claim there's nothing they detect.
    By the way, how do you like your plug in? Would have loved one myself but out of my price range....no smell in that car? Lucky you!

8. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It seems like the mold problem is made worse by use of recirc. I never had the problem in all of the cars I've driven until the Camry. Toyota needs to address the problem as there's no reason it should be happening. I hope you get satisfaction from your dealer and walk away happy with the experience.

The Plug-in is, to say the least, very impressive. I've read the complaints of not enough EV range, but that doesn't bother me. I wanted to be able to use the car locally as well as on longer trips. It seemed to be the best of both. I stay in EV around town and on the road, get 50+ mpg. For me, it's been a win-win situation.

WiseOwl likes this.
  9. WiseOwl

WiseOwl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I th f
    I think you're right on about the recirc mode. The previous owner must have ran it on that the majority of the time she drove it. We live in the desert. I will be sure to write updates as they happen
    Glad you're enjoying your plug in. Smart buy. We can all be sure gas prices are not going down anytime soon, or if ever. I drove the Prius C in Eco mode but it definitely cut into the power ....that little car had some nice features I will miss, but others not much. The steering was a lot nicer than the larger prius, and it took turns nicely...but it lagged and was hard to get in and out. Perfect student car though and/or second car for local driving.

10. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    I used to work in a detailing shop for a Lexus dealership. Some cars that came in had a horrible smell when dogs were in there. Perhaps you are smelling dog? In any case, i am curious if its coming from the car's hvac system or from the seats / fabric of the car

11. WiseOwl

WiseOwl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, I don't think it's dog I'm smelling....it's a mold scent, like a wet old towel. Will post after I hear back from the Customer Relations woman. I'm sure they'll have me bring it in for inspection..

12. bubbatech

bubbatech Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a problem with a musty smell that started this year. After thoroughly drying out the evaporator, it has disappeared and I make sure to turn off the compressor before I arrive at my destination now. if it returns to any significant degree, I intend to have it serviced.

13. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You, or a professional, should also inspect the car closely to make sure you do not have a "flood car". Look under the carpets and seats for signs of water having been inside the car and the undercarriage for rust and soil deposits.

edthefox5 likes this.
  14. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  15. ReDave

ReDave Junior Member

Central California, Sierra/Sequoia Foothills
    Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have a smell that occurs only when I'm NOT using the a/c. it sort of goes away, but it will present itself at some point. i'ts not really a mold/mildew smell but it is a bit like dirty sox
    will the ac evaporator be a factor even when not using the AC?

16. WiseOwl

WiseOwl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks everyone for such helpful replies and advice. The car is at the mechanic now. At first they just wanted to deodorize-bomb it...but I told the manager I thought that was backwards and to please inspect it first to see what's causing the smell..he agreed. Naturally he could not smell anything, but admitted to having a bad sense of smell.
    I will definitely mention to have the car tested for mold too. This is interesting now that I'm thinking about it....the day I bought the car when I got it home there were a few rust stains on the interior, two in the very back trunk area, one on the passenger side on the ceiling...wonder if I should mention that too....

The Customer relations woman looked up the service on the prior owner...nothing unusual, but that means nothing really. The problem could have just started which would have been a reason perhaps she traded it back in to Toyota.

Updates as they come. I'm driving a Camry rental..not too shabby. ;)

17. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hopefully, that previous owner did not end up in NJ/NY during Sandy. It could have been flooded and she could have traded without declaring the damage to the dealer. Ughh, we're not helping...

18. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Where are you located? Is a flooded car a possibility where you live?

19. WiseOwl

WiseOwl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Lol, yeah, stop with the catastrophe stories! Actually, prior owner lived in Santa Monica, CA. Maybe the car was a surfer?
    :p

20. WiseOwl

WiseOwl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Update :

As expected, Toyota did the very minimum to try to rectify this issue. They did not do any inspection at all. They simply replaced the cabin filter with a charcoal one and bombed-deodorized the cabin through the AC. It smells worse now of a strong serious flowery scent, which I'm sure will air out, and I'm certain it's only temporarily masking the dirty sock smell. I can honestly still smell the odor even through this sickening smelling bomb.
    I'm not done with this. In fact, I will be continuing with it until I am satisfied....

I sat in a few other used prius's today, none had this same odor. A few stunk like old cars, a few smelled like leather, but none had this horrendous moldy BO smell.
    I'm beyond frustrated.
    Sigh.