1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Moment of Truth

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jackkpts, Jan 22, 2006.

1. jackkpts

jackkpts New Member

My 2006 pkg 5 is due in this week. Paying MSRP of $25,696. I can get a similarly equipment Camry SE 4cyl for about $21,700. I live in Wisconsin NW of Milwaukee. We need lots of heat for 4 months or so with defrost. A couple months in summer get fairly hot but real humid. Here is my main concern about buying the Prius: Will I get an average of 45-48 MPG thorughout the year to justify the purchase price?? If I knew I would get the tax credit, I wouldn't raise this concern. Unless AMT gets addressed is a serious fashion, I will probably not get the credit, or much of it.

I am sure I can average in the low 30's overall with the Camry. I drive about 18K miles/yr with most being highway. I do not drive aggressively and have few short trips except at lunch during work. I never exceed 72 on the hwy. So, with the Prius being approx $4K more than the Camry, it is going to take 8 years or so if I get 45 in the Prius and 32 in the Camry. The pluses as I see it:

Prius - mileage, hatchback, probable higher resale in 5 years, current model design, back-up camera (minor), TPMS (minor since it doesn't display pressure reading)

Camry - a bit better performance, power moonroof; negative - outgoing design

I should note that I would rather have an Accord than a Camry, but the 4 cyl Accord does not offer traction control or stability control.

My question to you all with experience in the northern climate - is 45-48 MPG overall for the year reasonable without super specialized changes to my driving habits? Your honest evaluation and opinion is mush appreciated. Thx!

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the prius won't pay for itself. if you're looking for a new car, i assume you already know all of the whole "a new car does not make financial sense" arguements and all that stuff.

that said, the prius will not do as well in winter, with the heat cranked, with the air temp very low. most cars see a significant decrease in mpg over the winter, as will the camry you're considering. you won't see low 30s in a camry in a wisconsin winter. although i will mention that due to the reliance on battery power for mpg and that the battery is more sensitive to operating temperature. that said, i'll leave the people who have more experience with northern driving to tell you about their mpg's in the wintertime.

one more thing. your general mpg will also highly vary based upon how you drive. chances are your first tank won't be great. but people who seek the info usually learn very quickly and are able to improve. please use priuschat to its fullest in your search for knowledge. especially check out the knowlege base articles and in particular one article by one of our resident MPG experts, efusco.

good luck :)

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes. But not right off the bat. Especially if you're taking delivery in a couple weeks.

As I'm sure you've read in other threads, winter is really tough on Prius - and other vehicle - mileage. Also, It will take some time for you to get the hang of driving the car and it will take a few thousand mileas before the car "loosens up". But once it starts warming up, you will most definately see mileage in the mid 50s and averages in the mid- to high 40s.

John1701a lives in Minnesota and averages very good mileage. You can click the link in my signature to see my lifetime average.

4. prius2006rocks

prius2006rocks New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Speaking of mileage - not sure if anyone has posted this information or not, but I saw this article in the Autos section of my local paper today. Looks like the mileage sticker numbers will be lowered 2008 on for all auto manufacturers.

Attached Files: