1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Monday Morning Check-In - Have you had the Prius software update done?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Time to check in with our PriusChat faithful. There is a thread already in the PriusChat forums asking if the software update worked for 2010 Prius owners, but we wanted to know who all has actually had the update done and who hasn't. There is also a faction of PriusChatters who are talking about holding off on the software update until more field reports come in fellow PCers. Where do you fall in the mix? Have you had the Prius ABS Brake software update done?(opinion)

2. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    NOPE and not planning to let them update it until my next oil change which is due in 11 months.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Explaining the brake pause it more difficult than saying, "Yep, I got it and no problems." Or to the wife, "Honey, the car is fixed and working better than before."

Bob Wilson

4. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Got mine done this afternoon.
    15 minutes in and out of the shop.
    Old version 103
    New version 106

Only a 1 mile drive home not enough to see any change, but i never had the problem happen anyway.

5. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not yet. Plan to do so on Mar 2 with the oil change but haven't received notice yet.

7. chimo

chimo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have not done mine yet. The first oil change is due soon - I will get it done then.

8. FSherman

FSherman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yep, had it done, and now I'm in love again! With my Prius, which works like a charm - if not yet with the company. (I'll wait for this week's congressional testimony to see if they can explain the delays in dealing with problems, etc.) I didn't have the brake-skipping problem before and don't have it now, but I do have a deep feeling of assurance that this is a well-built and well-operating car.

9. Welshdog

Welshdog Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Haven't received notice from Toyota yet.

10. F512M

F512M Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Haven't done it yet. I'll wait for my first service.

11. Lloyd9

Lloyd9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are there any required software updates for the GEN5?

12. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    I received the notice from Toyota Canada yesterday.

However, this is one software update that I do not intend to apply to my 2010 Prius. As far as the braking is concerned, the car is functioning well and as designed so I neither acknowledge any problem with it nor the ignorance about the "shift to N and hold power button". :rolleyes:

Over the years, I have been very anal about software updates and I have them applied ASAP as soon as they become available for any of my cars, but this is one time that I will not.

BTW: The poll did not have an option matching my decision. ;)

Cheers;

MSantos

13. digitalsingularity

digitalsingularity New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Got mine done. I went over a bump and still felt that "surge" feeling from the brakes... but, it felt like a fraction of a second instead of a whole second this time. It's much better now.

14. PriusGirlyGirl

PriusGirlyGirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I felt the brake problem only recently when I drove over some pot holes and uneven pavement. That was very scary but I'm glad there was so much press about it - otherwise I wouldn't have known to expect it. BUT my brakes did work when I needed them the most - when I was driving in 2 inches of snow (which was horrible btw), and I slammed on my brakes to prevent from hitting an oncoming car.

I wasn't planning on updating my software until I experienced the problem for myself. So I may wait til my first oil change OR just as soon as I hear more feedback from other people about their updates. But I plan on it - definitely will not take any risks with this one.

15. pekinkaid

pekinkaid Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No. Waiting for my letter.

16. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The dealership called me while I was working from home and I didn't want to make an unnecessary 45 mile round trip right away. I'm in no hurry, but thanks for reminding me to call! ;)

17. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    3 weeks and no email or letter from the dealer. Made the appointment yesterday and the ECU reflash was done this morning. No idea yet if it did anything - the brake feel is the same.

I only experienced the braking problem once, a week ago. It was a strange enough experience that I wanted to get the update sooner than later. If they come up with a better fix in the future, I'll have that done too.

18. craigf

craigf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :confused: question fuel fill ups.. Our 06 and the previous car 04 were a bugger to fill up.. Have to take nozzle out and let air out then try to get more gas in.. any suggestions out there.

19. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This issue is no longer present in the 2010 model of the Prius.:)

20. Lewie

Lewie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had the patch applied this morning (Feb 24). The car just ticked over 5,000 miles so I had the dealer rotate the tires too. (I change my own oil/filters) I was told by the service writer that it would take between one and two hours. It took three. At two hours into the process the writer said it was slow today because the TIS system was balky. He said they "download" the software. This didn't make any sense to me, but what do I know? At least they washed the car.

I found a certain bump last month that's perfect for triggering the brake cutout effect. It's a broken concrete patch in a construction area that looks like a ramp about 5-feet long with a three-inch drop at the end. It's in south San Diego at the intersection of Otay Mesa Road and Caliente Road (32-34-3 N, 117-0-50 W).

I tested the brakes this evening on my bump and can say the problem is effectively fixed. There is still a slight reduction in braking force when the regen is cut-out and before the friction brakes are cut-in, but the transition is faster, maybe 1/3 of a second. The depth of the fade is also greatly reduced. It's noticeable, but only barely. If a person wasn't looking for the problem I don't think they'd ever notice it.

The update didn't affect the very slight non-linear effect at 7-mph.

I'm happy. But then again, I was happy before!