1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Monitoring Battery Blocks After P0A80 Code

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Slavi Stefanov, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Slavi Stefanov

Slavi Stefanov Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi everyone!
    After getting code P0A80 I started monitoring the HV battery behavior. From my understanding I might need a whole new pack, but I would highly appreciate more opinions/advice.
    Below are screenshots of individual trips with min and max values of the modules as well as the whole pack.
    The minimum values occur under EV mode while vehicle is in motion (10-40mph) right before the ICE to be started (I assume that at this moment the stress over the battery pack is the biggest).
    Again, these are very low values but achieved for less than a second. Although, the vehicle feels like drags back a little before the ICE comes in and then the P0A80 appears. Then I erase the error and keep monitor the battery until the next "failure", which for the moment happens around twice a day (I drive Uber/Lyft full time, so my daily mileage is around 200 miles mixed city/highway). I use the TorquePro App for Android.
    The Car is 2013 Prius with 204K miles and I'm the original owner.
    I'm thinking of doing a load test over the blocks with extremely low values. I know that everything with below 6.5V for a single module (13V for block if both modules have equal health) means replace, but since here occurs for a moment when is a high demand, I'm curious if all of the modules are bad?

Screenshot_20181210-142613_Torque.jpg Screenshot_20181212-125527_Torque.jpg Screenshot_20181213-114925_Torque.jpg Screenshot_20181213-220633_Torque.jpg

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    probably not. are you going to put in a new battery, or go down the whack a mole road?

3. Slavi Stefanov

Slavi Stefanov Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for replying bisco!
    I will eventually replace the whole pack, but at the moment I would love to make it running for another couple of thousand miles.
    I have ordered two modules from a guy who sales them with 185 days warranty (since I drive a lot this period of time is more than satisfying for me).
    Once they arrive I'll be load testing all four modules from blocks 7 and 9 (I dont know which way to count) and hopefully just two of them are bad (I'll order more if I need to).

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One way to make the rebuild last longer is to recondition the whole pack. An easy way to do that is through the Prolong equipment that Hybrid Automotive sells;).

In your area, @biglew8 has this equipment and reconditions his battery:).

Good luck with your project(y).

Slavi Stefanov likes this.