1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Monstrous Shudders in '06

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by geminione00, Apr 20, 2006.

1. geminione00

geminione00 New Member

I've read in another thread, a while back, about prius owners experiencing their new 06 shudder after ice has warmed up. Many people casted it off as being the cold weather and that it's normal for car to shudder violently immediately after ice has turned off. And I'd agreed that it made logical sense.

Yet, I'm experiencing this during warm temps (ie, 65+) while car is parked on an open parking lot and the inside of my car is baking (returning from work). Now, I don't know if the reason is that the car is new and needing time to break-in but it's been happening for quite a while. It doesn't happen as much in the morning (parked at a curb in front of house), when it's cooler, but it happens often when I return from work in the evening , after hopping off the subway. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I have 450 miles on my car. Hope this helps.

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This happens every day with my car, in temps of 70-75, but usually only the first time the engine shuts off after warming up. Doesn't seem to happen in the am so much, but that may be due to the road layout -I often don't have to come to a complete stop until I'm about 5-10 minutes into my commute on most days.

But it happens most often when I'm leaving work at lunch and at the end of the day. I exit the parking lot, turn right, and immediately am stopped at a red light for anywhere from a few seconds to a couple of minutes (usually the latter, 8 times out of 10). After the car has been stopped at the light for 10-15 seconds, the engine shudders very obviously and violently, then shuts off. And from then on, once the engine is warmed up and the initial heavy shudder is done, the engine shuts off very unnoticeably at any other stops at traffic lights that I make.

Does yours keep shutting off violently after that first shut off post-warmup??

3. DougSlug

DougSlug Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have definitely experienced the shudder in my '06. I didn't take note of the temperature, but since I've only had it for a month, the temperatures have been in the normal "early Spring in New Jersey" range. I did find it worrisome, but it doesn't happen very often. I interpreted it as the ICE either misfiring or turning on and off quickly--either way it felt very "unnatural". I would like to understand why this happens.

- Doug

4. finally_got_one

finally_got_one New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geminione00 @ Apr 20 2006, 10:23 AM) [snapback]242672[/snapback]</div>
    I have 1700 miles on my '06 as of today. Now, I am certainly not the expert on cars, as I am all thumbs when it comes to doing routine maintenance. I do, however, remember seeing an article that explained that when the ICE is stopped, it is stopped such that the crankshaft is in a certain position. This makes it easier for the ICE to be restarted again, which is important as the ICE turns on and off several times during a trip. Somehow I suspect that that extra 'shudder' could be the cars computers making sure that the ICE stops at the right place.

However, I am sure that there are others that know more than I about the Prius...hope they will chime in! :)

5. geminione00

geminione00 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Apr 20 2006, 01:32 PM) [snapback]242676[/snapback]</div>
    No, that doesn't quite happen to me. It happens when I return from work, in the evening, and start the car up. It takes about 1-2 minutes for the ICE to run and then after it has finish running, it cuts out and the car just shudders and make a ominous sound like it had just died out. This is of course before I take it out of park and into drive. I expect it in the morning but not in the evening for its second start-up in the day. Maybe I should talk to the dealer. I hope other prius experts can chime in. I'd appreciate it. :)

6. hockeybrat

hockeybrat Member

I've had that happen. I sometimes think it is user error (me) but at the same time, I KNOW I've been trying to brake slower and smoother so I have no idea what causes it.

It usually seems to happen once a day but it isn't consistent. I can happen after 1-2 minutes after starting the car or it can happen after driving for nearly 30 minutes. What usually happens is I'll come to a stop, then, maybe a second after I've come to a stop, there is this shudder and my engine sounds like it cuts off. :blink:

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the engine burns up that last little bit of gas in there to avoid sending it through the exhaust. that can cause a shudder.

mine's over a year old and it still shudders so hard the car shakes every now and then. i'm not concerned.

any misfire will cause the "christmas tree dash" condition- aka many lights will go on. don't think you have to worry about a misfire problem.

8. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geminione00 @ Apr 20 2006, 04:47 PM) [snapback]242820[/snapback]</div>
    It sounds like you're letting your car warm up before putting it in drive and starting to move. You'll get better mpg (and it doesn't harm the car at all) if you stop doing this. I realize this doesn't answer your question, just an observation from your comments.

BTW my car (2005 w/9000 miles) exhibits the exact same behavior WRT the shuddering once in the afternoon/evening. I hardly notice it anymore, not because it's getting less but because I've mentally tuned it out.

9. geminione00

geminione00 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San_Carlos_Jeff @ Apr 20 2006, 07:49 PM) [snapback]242876[/snapback]</div>

The only reason why I wait until engine warms up is I've read another thread that stated it wasn't good for the car. There was one time that I didn't let car warm up and I lost a 'pip' on the fuel gauge.

10. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geminione00 @ Apr 21 2006, 06:58 AM) [snapback]243095[/snapback]</div>
    This is not true for the Prius.

You will certainly use more fuel and lose more pips by warming it up before driving.

11. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

2k1, 2k3 and the 2k4 all do this at shut down, now for the reason. MG1 weighs about 20Lbs and is spinning any time the ICE is running and if you look at this site, http://homepage.mac.com/inachan/prius/planet_e.html
    and look at the RPMs of MG1 at idle, just move the ICE slider to 1000 RPM which is the Prius idle RPM, and you will see that it's about 3600 RPM, now try and stop that rotating mass in a fraction of a second and you will start to understand the dynamics of why the shudder occures. It's normal and nothing to worry about.