1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Moonroof on 2010?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by swich2mac, Apr 24, 2009.

1. swich2mac

swich2mac Go Hard or Go Home!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In order to get a moonroof, would you be locked into that solar package, or is there a "standalone" option that could be added to a Prius IV with the tech package?

Scott

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Nope, the moon roof is bundled with the solar roof and you cannot get it with the advanced tech package. That (the advanced tech package) only comes with the Prius V.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep it's bundled with the solar panels. You do get Remote A/C with that too.

4. Teknolust

Teknolust New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Scott,

I just purchased a 2010 Prius IV NV yesterday from a dealership in the Portland Metro. I was also looking for an SR model for the moonroof (not so much the solar panels) but was having problems finding one. The dealership advised that Toyota has a dealer-installable moonroof package that can be installed on the 2010 Prius but does not include the solar panel. I questioned if it was aftermarket but they advised that it was indeed a Toyota part and the same power moonroof on the Prius just minus the solar panel. The cost I was quoted was $1695 (for parts, installation, and loaner car) and would be covered under the warranty of the vehicle. The total cost with the IV NV package was less than that of the elusive IV SR so I went for it.

The parts are on order and should be in mid next week. The process takes a few days to install (3-4) so will likely be getting the car back early to mid the following week. I will definitely post a follow up on how good of a job they did with the installation, as well as take some pictures to post. I am really hoping that it is indeed not aftermarket and that they do a good job. The thought of them cutting a huge hole in the roof isn't a pretty one.

5. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Wow! This is totally out of the blue. There was never a hint that this would be possible. I am skeptical that it is legit. I would love to hear from the Prius Team about this.

Even if it is legit, you are going to take a big hit on resale value. You have the nav for $1800 plus the add on roof for $1700. That totals $100 less than the solar package that includes the solar cooling and remote air conditioning.

Obviously, it's up to you, but I would have waited for the solar package.

By the way, do you mind saying which dealer?

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    mmhmm... it's $100 less than the equivalent SR package. $100 for solar panels? I'd take it.

7. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is NO WAY in the world I would allow this to be chopped in the roof of a brand new car at a dealership. The risk is great of a minor flaw, let alone a major mistake. It is a very invasive addition and for a $100??? At the very least, I would check with Toyota Corporate about warranty on this addition.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "it" being the Solar Roof Package, not the custom moonroof.

9. Teknolust

Teknolust New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The dealership I have been working with is Wilsonville Toyota-Scion in Wilsonville, OR. The dealership is one of the larger in the Portland metro, and even received the Toyota Presidents Award last year.

That being said, I had no reason to doubt them when they advised that the Moonroof was being offered as a dealer installable part. I specifically asked if it was aftermarket or a Toyota part, they advised it was genuine and was the same powered moonroof available in the SR, just sans the Solar Panel.

Doing some digging online I don't see a single other dealership offering this on a 2010 model, although several aftermarket solutions are available for the 2009. I fear that this was a ploy to get me to sign on an NV instead of waiting for an SR to come in and if so a shameful tactic on their part. In addition, with the changes to the body/roof on the 2010 wouldn't an aftermarket system for the 2009 be incompatible?

I would like to give Toyota Corporate a call to confirm that this is indeed a factory offered solution and file a complaint against the dealership if not. Does anyone know if the Customer Experience Center number on the website is the one that I should be using? I really would like to get this confirmed ASAP, as the dealership is planning on doing the installation next week.

10. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Try this info:

Toyota Customer Experience
    Phone: 800-331-4331
    Fax: 310-468-7814
    Mon - Fri, 5:00 am - 6:00 pm PST
    Sat, 7:00 am - 4:00 pm PST

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $1695 is a lot of money for an aftermarket sunroof (notwithstanding that it may be the OEM sunroof).

Better (inbuilt and with more features) aftermarket sunroofs are usually $1100 - $1200 installed.

12. Bica2go

Bica2go New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree completely with msirach on this one. I made the mistake once of getting an aftermarket moonroof. They effectively destroyed the car doing the installation - they had to do twice because of poor workmanship and then it took 3 times to get the headliner right. I found out later they did a significant cut into the A pillar to run the wires which really destroyed the structural integrity in the event of a crash. It was an awful experience and I took a bath on the value when I traded it in. I will never by an aftermarket moonroof again.

13. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that your installer was obviously incompetent and worse. But I wouldn't generalize from this experience that all aftermarket moonroof installations are similar. However, your experience does highlight that as a general matter, there's more risk involved with aftermarket installations.

14. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    A dealer installable part is one thing.
    A factory sunroof is another.
    I'm sorry -- you misunderstood them.
    My guess is that they will have an after market sunroof/moonroof installed by a company who installs power sunroofs in many cars.

These are not Toyota parts. That's what they meant by "dealer installed"... it's after-market.

That said, I have seen after market moonroofs installed in many cars in my time - Scion xBs, Camrys, xD's, Yaris, you name it. Even a tiny little sunroof in a gen II Prius. They serve the same purpose... open, close, let sun and light in... :)

Dianne

15. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Dianne:
    I would be more apt to trust an installer from the land of sunshine and surf than from a climate such as Oregan.

In your experience, how would an aftermarket sunroof installed affect the warranty and resale of a 2010.

16. Bica2go

Bica2go New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, my point was to highlight the risk involved. Based on my experience, I won't take that risk again.

Just to clarify - my car was delivered with the moonroof installed as part of the initial purchase as I wanted it to be covered by the warranty. I agree, the dealer sent it out to a shop that was totally unqualified. I may have done better if I searched out an aftermarket shop to do it but I was concerned about the quality of the install and wanted the dealer on the hook for it. Silly me!

17. Teknolust

Teknolust New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the good information everyone, I think we possibly have caught a potential nightmare in time.

I called the Toyota Customer Experience line and spoke with a very helpful representative. She confirmed that the moonroof must be installed at the factory level for it to be covered under the warranty and the dealership was misinformed.

She advised that the dealership potentially is offering installing the moonroof replacement part available to dealers for break/fix, which it is not intended for that purpose. It is also possible that they were offering a part from a previous Prius, or a TRD moonroof that they feel is compatible.

Toyota has opened a case to have this investigated and has given me the contact information for Customer Relations Manager for the dealership. I have left a voicemail for her, but suspect I will not hear from her until the first of the week. I will post the outcome here for all to see.

Thanks again for everyones input on this, I really appreciate it.

18. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bica2go,

To me, your experience definitely highlights the biggest, general risk of aftermarket installations -- how is the consumer going to know if the installer did the job correctly?

Once the new headliner is put in place, everything is hidden. The installer could have unduly cut into and compromised the structural integrity of the A pillar (as in your experience) or the ribs/braces of the roof cage and/or totally screwed up the car's side curtain airbag system -- and because the headliner covers everything, the consumer would not be able to readily see or easily detect that any of this occurred.

19. Teknolust

Teknolust New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was able to speak with the Customer Relations Manager for the dealership this afternoon. She confirmed that the salesman was indeed mistaken about it being a Toyota part and that it was indeed aftermarket.

She explained that the dealership has an arrangement with Coach Automotive Restyling to install aftermarket leather, moonroof, and navigation systems into vehicles that they sell. They claim that the company has been in business for many years, done several installations on previous Prius models, and even include a warranty on their work. It looks like have several shops in California, Oregon, and Kansas, has anyone had any experience with them or their work?

Really my options at this point are to: move forward with the aftermarket installation and hope they do a good job (likely impacting the warranty and resale value); sell the vehicle back to the dealership and go on a waiting list for a IV SR (likely a huge hassle and take weeks/months); or just keep the IV NV as is and redo all the paperwork. As nice as it would to be have a moonroof, I don't know if its worth risking an aftermarket installation (especially on such a new model) or the hassle of selling the NV back for an SR.

Thanks again for the heads up, I am so glad that this was uncovered before the modification was done.

20. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have experience with Coach in CA. They are fine. Each individual shop is run differently, so your mileage, er, experience may vary but as long as they use quality parts and do a quality job, you'll be fine. The main concern for you would be:
    1. warranty
    2. job quality. One false move and a side airbag sensor might not go right. I have always protested that the day a $10 an hour leather installer can do as well as a million dollar computer system designed to place the sensors where they are supposed to go - in the headliners, I'd eat my hat. The very fact that these companies who add sunroofs and leather seating spout off that they have a million dollar bond yatta yatta simply means they have enough insurance to cover a lawsuit so THEY don't have to go out of business if you sue their nice person. Example: I get hit in the side in my Prius and because I added aftermarket leather and the side airbags don't deploy and my son is killed, how will I ever forgive myself? A million dollars ain't enough, I can tell you that. Anyone who spouts off about a bond, well, that's just insurance. If the staircase at the dealership is rickety and someone might fall, my dealer won't go buy a bond. He'll fix the staircase and make it safe.
    Capische?

As far as your sunroof goes, Coach is a familiar name. They have been around for years. I'd handle this a tad differently if I were your Oregon dealership but hey, I am not. You two have a working relationship and I am sure you'll work this out.

Dianne