1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

moonroof or no moonroof? how do you like yours?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by berkeley, Sep 5, 2012.

1. berkeley

berkeley New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    We started out shopping for a 2, but are now considering the upgrade to a 3 just because of the moonroof option. Difference comes to $2360.

If you have a moonroof, how do you like it? Have you had any trouble w/ it? Is it worth $2360 to you?

If you don't have a moonroof, do you regret not getting one? Or are you perfectly happy w/o it & glad you kept your money?

Decisions, decisions... (I believe this falls quite squarely into the category of first world problems ;) )

Tracy likes this.
  2. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My C4 came with a moonroof and I have NOT touched it since, and I think the last person used it is in Japan QC department. No cars in CA with the NO moonroof option, wasted $2360.

3. ChinchillaGirl

ChinchillaGirl OrcaCar

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I was not a big moonroof fan, and could have gone either way, but I do like it. I am a fresh air fiend and it does dissapate heat (ergo, less ac used, ergo higher mpg...)

[​IMG]

4. Tracy

Tracy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hi again Berkeley :)

I got the moonroof - first time I've had one. I love it. Do I consider it worth the 2k+? Hmmmmm. Tough one. I looked at mine as an $850 add-on because I wanted some of the other features in the 3 vs. the 2. I like the moonroof because I just want more light (so gray here in the northwest for so many months!). I like letting in fresh air too. And, I feel like it makes a small car feel bigger by opening it to the sky. I usually do NOT have it open if the sun is high overhead...it just creates glare. For me, that is not the normal state of our weather. We are much more apt to have overcast and mild temps versus bright sun. You live in a sunnier warmer climate and you may not have it open as much. Only you can balance all that out. You might want to factor in how long you plan to keep the car too. I plan to have my C 10 years so that investment for me is under $100/year for the moonroof and that is totally worth it when I think how much I'm using it.

I've been enjoying it lately just for a relaxing lunch. I usually read at lunchtime and I park the car someplace nice, open the moonroof and windows and find it extra relaxing. :)

SILVERCwSUN, Archaeo and Annie755 like this.
  5. JAYSONE

JAYSONE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Even though I bought a Gen3 I thought I would chime in.

A moonroof is nice to have but not a necessity and later on down the line opens up the possibility problems with leaks, etc that you would otherwise not have to endure w/o one.

You should ask yourself how often you would actually it to make it worthwhile to you.

Personally, I originally opted out but the gf really wanted me to get it. The Gen3 has the solar option which I think is the icing on the cake and DOES make it worth it to me as it does a decent job of keeping the inside temps more bearable and I don't have to worry about cracking a window and rain to achieve a similar effect.

With that said, I don't believe that the solar option is available on the C ...so it wouldn't be worth the premium and if I was in the market for the C I would opt out.

Good luck!

6. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    When shopping for a car a moonroof was a MUST! So I was very glad to get my C 3 with everything I wanted. I'd say its defiantly worth the extra cost! Buying a car is huge purchase you want to make sure its right the first time!

Archaeo likes this.
  7. SILVERCwSUN

SILVERCwSUN Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    We specifically wanted the moonroof in our C. We presently have a moonroof in our 04 Accord and have totally enjoyed it as an option over the years. It's especially nice up on the Blue Ridge Parkway when crusing around and taking in the vista's and fresh cool mountain air. For the additional $850, well worth to me and would have regreted not having one this fun C option! It really does help vent the car out quickly.

On really hot days you can leave it in the tilted up position slightly to vent hot air from the interior. The really nice thing abut the C's moonroof is that it has quite a large opening and lets in lots of natural sunlight into the interior whether open or closed, well done Toyota! :) golf clap....

Archaeo and Tracy like this.
  8. MNBud

MNBud Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    This was the one feature I was NOT willing to drop when I started getting impatient waiting for my C. I came from a VW beetle that was known for sunroof leaks (due to poor drains) but I did like the open sky effect so I had to have it on this car also. I haven't looked into how this one drains, just hoping Toyota did a better job than VW did.

SILVERCwSUN likes this.
  9. Archaeo

Archaeo New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four

10. Archaeo

Archaeo New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    We purchased a C Four and tried to find one without the moonroof as we have had this type of feature before and rarely used it. Ended up buying one with it but the option shouldn't be more than $850. The dealer dropped the MSRP covering most of the added expense as he knew we really didn't care about this option. If you live in an area of mild weather, it would probably be a nice feature to let in the outdoors a bit. Ours works well, just waiting for the end of summer so that we can use it around town. The features we truly enjoy on the 4 model are the softex seats (great feel and look), the voice command phone system through bluetooth/iphone, the satellite radio is fun, and the keyless fob that opens and closes the doors with one touch of the door handle.

ChinchillaGirl likes this.
  11. Tracy

Tracy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The interesting thing about your list of features you like is that MOST of them are on the 3 as well - except for the Softex seats. I really, really wanted to have heated seats but I didn't care about any of the other aspects of the 4 and just couldn't talk myself into spending another couple grand for heated seats. I could handle paying extra for the moonroof because I also wanted the voice command, satellite radio, and push button start that came on the 3.

Archaeo likes this.
  12. berkeley

berkeley New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks everyone for your replies. We decided to stick with the 2. Moonroof was nice to think about, but in the end there are too many other things we'd rather spend that money on.

13. Gcoop

Gcoop Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    i love my moonroof and its open 98% of the time unless its raining or snowing
    it was a must have when i got my C
    my old acura had one too
    i love it.

14. Archaeo

Archaeo New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Great enjoy it! You will really be thrilled that you bought this vehicle!

15. MNBud

MNBud Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just in case you are unaware, we had the dealer install heated seats in our C3 after purchase.

Archaeo likes this.
  16. Tracy

Tracy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I've seen a few posts and some photos along those lines ;-) I know it can be done.....probably won't move to the top of my list of things to spend money on until we have another winter like 2008 (LOTS of cold and snow here). :)

17. allopatry

allopatry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I specifically wanted the moonroof on my c3. I love it and open it every day and will use it until winter arrives.

18. Annie755

Annie755 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Great choice! Let us know when you get it and post some pictures :)

19. Annie755

Annie755 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I LOVED Seattle's 2008 winter. I lived in Seattle area for many years now, but I am originally from Russia, and I really miss cold and snowy winters. But I can also see how it could be unpleasant for someone who is not used to it. But I must say, heated sits did make Russian winters more pleasant :)

Tracy likes this.
  20. Tracy

Tracy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    That was my first and only (so far) white Christmas! But...I was housebound several weeks since I'm on a hill well away from roads that get plowed. I could put chains on a car but I don't worry about how I drive as much as all the bozos in SUVs who think that because their car is BIG it is somehow impervious to ice. Small cars lose every time when giant gas guzzlers spin out. I'm lucky and can telecommute in bad weather so I keep my pantry well stocked in winter, stay home, and stay out of the body shop. I love to walk the neighborhood though :)

Archaeo likes this.