1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

moonroof

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by DIV, Feb 26, 2009.

1. DIV

DIV New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I guess the biggest thing I miss from my old car (bimmer) that's lacking in my beloved new Prius is a moonroof. I don't even care if it didn't open. In Seattle, we're "blessed" with so many gloomy cloudy days it would be nice for a bit of light from the roof.

I was discussing it with my dad last night who's a mechanical engineer and he was thinking that maybe with glass up there, it would lower the insulation and cause the driver to use the AC more.
    Any other thoughts.

Has anyone considered or done a after-market moon roof??

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Several people have added moon roofs, or sun roofs; I don't recall which. The new 2010 is available with a moon roof option.

Tom

3. DIV

DIV New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Is there anyone recommended for the install/mod? Are any of them approved by Toyota? I'd hate to see my warranty get voided by doing such...

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  5. QuiGonJohn

QuiGonJohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I don't think it could affect or void your warranty, since the warranty does not cover sheet metal or the headliner, it is really immaterial to the warranty. It'd be like adding mud flaps and that somehow voiding the warranty.

Hey, I didn't know there was a whole other Prius site. How does it compare. Of course I love Prius Chat.

6. Bill1

Bill1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I am also a ME and your dad is right - more glass/less insulation would make it hotter inside, especially on hot sunny days. That said, there is a lot of other glass area on the car so it may not even be that noticeable. How many hot and sunny days are there in Seattle? I think if you want a sun/moon roof you should go for it.

7. avocadoman1

avocadoman1 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    here's a you-tube link of a prius chat member who installed a Webasto-Hollandia 700 series power sunroof (the actual thread can probably be found doing a "hard-target search"):

also, shortly after this install Webasto said that no product currently exists in their line for a Prius.

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-main-forum/45820-update-webasto-says-no-sunroof-prius.html

that said, it can still be done, just w/out roof support.

additional links:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-modifications/43736-sunroof-installed.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-modifications/32662-sunroof-installed-2007-prius-minneapolis.html