1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Morality

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Mar 23, 2007.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Can you legislate it?

Morality has been referred to as the "lens" through which one views the facts - a way to put the facts into proper context. The facts remain the facts and are not altered by morality - it is the interpretation of the facts that is morality. Can one legislate morality?

Just curious what you guys think. As for my opinion the answer is no.

2. Schmika

Schmika New Member

If you define morality as "right vs. wrong" as opposed to legal and illegal, I agree. However, anytime you make a law, you are legislating something. Can you legislate anything? yes...can you efectively legislate morality, no!

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Legislation, in my opinion, can force someone to mimic a behavior that might be considered moral (avoiding murder, for example). I do not believe mimicking the behavior purely to avoid persecution makes a person moral.

So while I agree with Schmika that you can legislate anything, I don't think you can use legislation to create a moral population.

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I don't believe you can legislate morality. Whose morality do you choose? Every individual, every culture, every religion sees things a little different. As a doctor, Berman, i'm sure you've at least thought about the moral implications of medically assisted suicide for terminally ill patients living in a lot of pain. On the one hand, it's immoral to kill someone, but on the other, it's immoral to allow someone to live in such pain and not to help them fulfill their wish.

Now, you can legislate specific scenarios like that, and get a code of justice that appears to be mostly moral. But in no way can you create a law that punishes the "bad" across the board. There are many other examples. A real easy one that comes to mind is the thief that robs from the rich and gives to the poor (aka Robin Hood) - As the story goes, he was acting very morally to undermine a corrupt system and help his fellow man, and yet at the same time we all know that stealing is wrong.

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Mar 23 2007, 10:21 AM) [snapback]410817[/snapback]</div>
    we agree and your example of medically assisted suicide is an excellent one. there is no doubt that many patients are eased into the next world by physicians and nurses to ease their pain and suffering in the final moments of life - this is done so with the knowledge of the patient and family - ie, a morphine drip. It is amoral to kill a person and it is also amoral to let a person suffer horribly when there is no hope for survival and the end is imminent. I like your example a lot.

thanks

6. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, a post by dr berman that does not mention algore, GW, Islam. Not even trollish at all (yet).
    That being said, I agree with dr berman. You can not legislate morality. You can not legistlate stupidity either. Laws should only prevent someone from interfering with another citizen's right to life, liberty, or the pursiut of happiness. A lot of those things are likely to be labeled "immoral". But the term morality is pretty subjective. Obviosly stealing is immoral and also interferes with other's rights and is hence illegal. Many people here would consider driving a hummer immoral, but it doesn't interfere with my rights to L,L, and the PoH, so it is not illegal. Abortion, is very distateful and immoral, but should not be illiegal as it does not interfere with my rights. Though pro lifers will say it affects the rights of the unborn, which again gets down to a subjective opinion on when life begins and etc. (Please, lets not get into the 9th month brain sucking crap again, that is BS and counterproductive).

All the more reason that Godwin's law is stupid. Gambling laws are stupid. Helmet laws are stupid. Prohibition is stupid. Neighborhood associations dictating how high and what color a fence can be are STUPID.

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Mar 23 2007, 10:35 AM) [snapback]410826[/snapback]</div>
    thanks for the temporary vote of confidence :D

8. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    An excellent question. Since many laws can really be interpreted as "enforced morality", I guess we can/do legislate morality. However, as TonyP pointed out, morality is supposed to be a self-enforced act, the adherence to it dictated not so much by legal consequences, but by belief in a more enlightened way of life.

9. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You mean "immoral," right? As opposed to "morally neutral?"

The assisted suicide example is a good one, and I'd take it a step further and look for examples of immoral acts being supported by law. Laws, after all, are designed by the people in power, who are not always (should I say "ever"?) selfless people.

Different people have different qualifications for "moral" behavior, and I'm not just comparing religious to non-religious. But even more importantly, I think many of us Americans might agree that part of our national moral belief system relies on the idea that legislating morality would be distinctly immoral.

10. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think we do legislate morality; I just don't know how well it works.

Capital murder is against both the law and morality, for instance.

It becomes sticky when parties can't decide what's moral or not. Hence the preponderance of some wedge issues in today's society--one side wanting to legislate their own morality vs. the other that says "no." (And these sides flip depending on the topic.)

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Mar 23 2007, 10:55 AM) [snapback]410839[/snapback]</div>
    i dont think so. If person A shoots person B and kills him, person B is still dead and was murdered by person A. You can argue the morals behind that shooting and killing that person A did it in self defense or he did it cold blooded, whatever - the fact is person b was shot and killed by person a that is the fact and the fact has nothing to do with morals behind the shooting. morals are what we use to interpret the facts, not create or change the facts.

12. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 23 2007, 11:10 AM) [snapback]410851[/snapback]</div>
    You're actually supporting my point.

Person A kills person B, premeditatively, because person B is sleeping with his wife, then that person is tried for capital murder.

Person A kills person B because person B is trying to kill him, then person is tried for MAYBE manslaughter, or maybe nothing at all.

These are levels of morality, and all legislated. Yes, in both situations, our boy B is dead, and that's a fact. The punishments are not the same based on the reasons/interpretation/morality of the crime.

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Mar 23 2007, 11:27 AM) [snapback]410858[/snapback]</div>
    you put a word in their i did not - premeditatively - please take it out. you make difficult things from simple things. i offered a very simple case of a shooting b - done - period - nada else.

you are building false constructs. are there levels of morality in your world? again, my belief is that morality has nothing to do with the facts - it is how we view the facts. for that reason you cannot legislate it.

14. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 23 2007, 11:37 AM) [snapback]410866[/snapback]</div>
    False constructs? There are lots of levels of morality in OUR (not just mine) world, hence why one murder is a murder and another is a "justifiable homicide." And we legislate to those levels. Do we not? Last time I checked, we did...that's not false. How do you call it so?

There was nothing difficult in the least about my response; it seemed pretty simple to me. We have legislated morality in this country (the answer to your OP) to the best of our ability in very particular circumstances. There's a continuing debate about other "morals" being legislated. That's all I'm pointing out.

I'm not sure what your argument is. Again.

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Mar 23 2007, 11:47 AM) [snapback]410878[/snapback]</div>
    and hence the fuel of liberal misthoughts and false constructs. what other false constructs do you live by?

death is still death - that is the fact. the morality of it is how it is viewed by people.

16. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 23 2007, 11:50 AM) [snapback]410882[/snapback]</div>
    I'll ignore your obvious baiting, and address your last sentence.

You agree with what I've said--YES--the morality of it is how it's viewed by people. And we legislate that. In answer to your OP. Again. For the third time.

One question, not a debate: you're saying that all people responsible for killing another person should be treated as capital murderers, regardless of circumstance?

17. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He's trying to pick a fight with you again.

We (and our politicians of questionable morals on both sides) factor our personal morals into how we vote on an issue. So morals affect legislation, but you cannot actually legislate morality per se. It fails every time. Islam banning music will fail, US prohibiting pot will fail, its' not much different.

Also, the world is a vast mixtures of grays, very little is black and white.
    (drberman likes to make you choose black or white, so he can point out the gray and prove you wrong)

18. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Mar 23 2007, 11:56 AM) [snapback]410889[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know that it fails every time, but I certainly think it doesn't work some of the time (prohibition, for instance). Do you really think, for instance, that pot will be legalized? (as an example ONLY) We've been legislating more and more for morality, e.g. what's now called statutory rape is an example of something that when I was a kid was just a way of life (lots of 16 year olds dating 20 year olds, etc.) is now legislated.

And an "I see that" to your first statement. Why in the world, though?

19. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Mar 23 2007, 11:54 AM) [snapback]410886[/snapback]</div>
    how do you legislate morality which is not the fact of the happenstance, but the way it is perceived by people.

murder is murder, no? the morality begins if it were in self-defense or it was a cold blooded killing - the fact that a murder took place is not up for dispute. you cannot legislate how that murder is viewed by people can you?

your last sentance - the answer is obvious to the focus of this post, no?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Mar 23 2007, 11:56 AM) [snapback]410889[/snapback]</div>
    thanks for the psychoanalysis.

20. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 23 2007, 12:19 PM) [snapback]410905[/snapback]</div>
    No. Answer the question.

And once again, you are agreeing with me that we DO, in this great country of ours, legislate morality. What it looks like you're about to pounce on is that we SHOULDN'T. Entirely different question.