1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

More Annoying, Backup Beeps Or Horn Blows When Locking Car With Remote

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by blippo, Sep 10, 2009.

?
  1. The Prius Backup Beeps

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. People Use Remote To Lock Cars And Horn Blows

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. blippo

blippo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Which annoys you more, the backup beeps on the Prius when backing up (if not altered to single beep) or when people use the remote (Not Necessarily a Prius, any car, other people) to lock their car and the horn blows

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Mine doesn't do either. I have the backup beep disabled, and locking only causes a small chirp, not a full horn beep.

Tom

3. blippo

blippo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yea , I meant to say other people's car horn blows, because that's the way I have mine set up also on my Prius. In shopping centers sometimes it makes me jump when they have a loud horn

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I hate horns in general, but horns from locking are especially annoying.

My main pet peeve with car noise are car alarms. They do no good whatsoever, but honk and beep like crazy all summer long because people have no idea how they work or any ability to disable the darned things. I've come close to prying open a hood and ripping out wires.

Tom

5. blippo

blippo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Darn, that is a good one, car alarms going off. That would have been another option to put in that poll if I would have thought of it

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The only thing the horn is good for when not driving is helping to find your car (hit lock and hope you're close enough for the car to beep the horn). there's really no need to alert the entire parking lot that you just locked your car when you pull in somewhere.

As for interior dinging (when backing up, for passenger seat belt, etc)... that's annoying and the first thing i disabled in my car. no beeping when backing up, and i often have heavy stuff on the passenger seat that would trigger the beep if that were enabled.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Neither of the poll items bothers me. I had disabled the backup beeper, but when I got a new 12-v battery I didn't even bother disabling it again. Guess I'm just a zen kind of guy. :D However, car alarms annoy the hell out of me. What's the sound of one hand clapping? A crowbar smashing the hell out of a car whose alarm is going off for no good reason. :p

8. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hello Blippo:

Neither of them really bother me. Maybe you could modify the poll the allow "none" as a selection??

Following are my musings:

"Horn when locking with fob":

I agree with Tom regarding the horn sounding when locking. With the little "chirps" that the Prius has, it's really a non-issue. In fact, may times I wish the "chirp" was louder.

That's because I usually use the SKS "outside locking button" to lock the car. The system will give a little chirp if it locks correctly. But in a public parking lot, it is often too noisy if I lock the car from the rear hatch to hear the chirp. Too bad there's not an exterior microphone that can sense the ambient noise and adjust the "chirp level" accordingly!

I find that the perceived loudness of the horn beeps is dependent on the car manufacturer. So all GMs that I've owned in the last decade or so (and those that I've rented for work), all have a fairly discrete little "honk" when locking with the fob. Carries far, but is not really objectionable, even up close (Actually, the honk doesn't occur unless you press the lock button two times).

But Ford on the other hand has a loud, obnoxious "HONK" when you press the lock button twice. That is indeed really aggravating, especially when it is late at night and you are just trying to be certain that you've locked the car.

"Interior Backup Beeps":

Sometimes I'll be driving along listening to music. If I have the radio on loud enough (like, 50 out of 60 on the volume level), I don't even hear the backup beeps.

And when the radio is off, I don't mind them either. Once or twice I've set the parking brake, but forgot to take the Prius out of reverse (such as when I'm going to get out to check my parking in the garage, to see if the front end will clear the garage door when it closes). Then the beeps remind me "you're still in reverse, dummy". So I actually like them. :)

Another factor may be that I've raised a few children. I think when you are a male, that after you've had children, you become somewhat "immune" to ambient noises, like crying, fighting, etc. Must be a built in coping mechanism that gets "turned on" during the child-rearing years ;).

There have been several instances where I'm on a flight, and there is a crying baby on the plane. Then some fellow male passenger (who invariably is not even sitting next to the child) will start mumbling something about "why can't that ?7!&%$ control their kid".

I smile because I think that person has probably never raised children themselves, otherwise they too would most likely be "immune" to the crying.

So all that to say that the backup beep is ok by me! :cheer2:.

9. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Remote lockers... they should be flogged...

10. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Backup beeps - annoying, but they can sort of maybe serve a purpose

Horn (not dedicated chirp) blows when car is locked - only douches have/leave this setting

As you can tell, I'm pretty bothered by #2, mostly because the douches that lock their cars remotely apparently like to make it a habit to do it while I'm standing in front of their POS car. :mad:

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Rather extreme, don't you think?