1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

More Bad News For Gas Guzzlers

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by priushippie, Jan 9, 2011.

1. priushippie

priushippie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  2. rpeeples

rpeeples Experienced Toyota Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would say not so good news for hybrids either, since they still require gas, which comes from oil. My opinion is that they look for every tiny opportunity to make gas prices go up, legitimate or not.

3. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did everyone not think that BP would recover the money that they spent in the gulf.

It's there oil, there gas, they can charge anything their stockholders want.:mad::mad:

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unfortunately those that can least afford it will be hit the hardest. Suspect those who can afford a gas guzzlin SUV won't notice much.

5. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Good. I hope gasoline prices keep going up so that demand for hybrids, plug-ins, and electrics increases.

6. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My guess is they're going to have a strong incentive to call that leak 'fixed' soon, even if it isn't quite ready for prime time. Any of you oilheads out there want to hazard a guess/calculation as to how long, in the dead of an Alaskan winter, it might take for that oil to congeal to the point it won't move at all, if it doesn't keep moving? Kinda like lakes freeze but streams might not?

If that happens, I wouldn't bet on any north slope oil much before July. (How long does it take to get it from the north slope to Valdez--whatis it, about 800 mi?)

And, while I'm not a big conspiracy theorist, it wouldn't doubt me a bit if the industry uses this as an excuse to jack prices up, even if not necessary.
    ~T

7. rpeeples

rpeeples Experienced Toyota Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What most people don't realize is that rising gas prices affect almost everything else - food, building supplies, and cars of all kinds.:eek:

1 person likes this.
  8. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    On the radio this morning, they said the Alaskan pipeline supplies 15% of U.S. oil. On a MarketWatch article that I just read, it said 9%. I think the correct interpretation is 15% of West-Coast oil, which is 9% of national oil.
    Both sources said the pipeline is expected to be fixed by Friday.