1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

More Brake Dust Since Recall

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by GrumpyCabbie, Feb 22, 2010.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Had the brake recall done on my car last Tuesday and have since done about 650 miles. Was washing my wheels today and noticed that the brake dust on the fronts was really bad.:(

Now I've done 10,000 miles in my Prius before the recall and use the car in heavy start stop traffic so I use the brakes hard but have never seen so much brake dust as I have since the recall update.

Is this just a coincidence or is it something to do with the recall? Anyone else had similar experiences?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Interesting ... we had rain yesterday and for the first time, I heard brake pads on rusty discs. ... Hummmm, maybe I won't put up an Ebay listing in 2020:

"Original 2010 Brake pads, 200,000 miles, barely used."
    Bob Wilson

3. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Maybe I'll hold off on the reflash until I know my brake pads aren't being wasted for nothing...

4. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----

In the meantime, you can aim for the back of a stalled truck you need to stop fast. :) Sorry; the devil made me say it.

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt the software, but you may want to check your brake calipers. Any of the brake places should do it for free. If its a problem, I would think it would be under warranty even though its a normal wear and tear item.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In theory, we might see a change in brake wear. But this will take a while to show up. Worse backing out SSC-A0B to establish a baseline might be ... difficult.

Bob Wilson

7. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I should be able to see differences with my SGII and the friction braking XGAUGE, if any.

I do know that on the original firmware, on my commute home from work in heavy stop and go traffic on city streets, the brake rotors are cold to the touch when I get home. I do try to max regen ... but it would be a bummer if the ECU is constantly mixing in friction when stopping.