1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

More cosmetic stuff...

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by justkyle, Oct 19, 2010.

1. justkyle

justkyle New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just had to post to get away from 666 threads ;-)

Anyhow, one more "minor" cosmetic issue about my 02 prius.

The Recirculate Air button's markings have worn off. How big of a deal would it be to get this one button replaced?

My gut feeling is, it would be a pretty big deal, and that I'd need to buy a whole a/c control box unit or some other such expensive part.

Again, we get into the debate with my wife about form vs. function.

Me, I'm a big fan of function.

Her, not so much. She wants this thing to look perfect. I, am a realist, and just want it to last a long time and be reliable.

What do you guys think? Form over Function, or Function over Form?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Post a photo?

Bob Wilson

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just find the button from a salvaged Prius and replace it.

4. justkyle

justkyle New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll do it during lunch today.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In case you haven't already realized this: if your wife is not happy, you will not be happy. This is a fact of life.

However, your wife will hopefully come to learn that there is a concept of "diminishing returns", where the cost to correct a minor issue may exceed the benefit of that correction. Assuming that you have limited economic resources available to your household, this concept needs to be considered.

The cost to make an 8-year old car "perfect" will likely exceed its market value. When the time comes to sell you'll recognize a big financial loss. (I learned this lesson very painfully with a 1985 Jaguar XJ6 Vandenplas that I restored to car show condition in the 90s.)

Good luck with your domestic discussions, I would not want to be part of that dialogue.

6. justkyle

justkyle New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    By popular request...

Attached Files:

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks pretty minor to me. What potentially might be very irritating is if you broke a plastic trim panel while trying to access that switch. I'd leave it alone, but then I'm not the one married to your wife.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Gold leaf. Clean the surface and buff with a Dremil buffer tool (make sure to mask off the plastic.) Then apply layers of gold leaf until it glows. Then tell the wife 'well there goes the vacation budget.' <grins> (No, don't tell the wife that!)

Bob Wilson

9. justkyle

justkyle New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No kidding.

At first glimpse, I thought this was just spare donut glaze (that's what was covering the Toyota logo horn button and giving it a similar look.)

Upon further inspection, it really does look like the shiny chrome paint has wore off of the button.

Maybe my question should be, does anybody know where I can find shiny chrome paint?

10. justkyle

justkyle New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess, I could totally empty out my budget and "Pimp my prius"
    :D

Upon investigating the link, however; the aluminum leaf looks the closest to what I need to accomplish; however I'd still have to allow for some light to come through so I can see when the button has been depressed.

Maybe I should have asked for a good source of some sort of chrome paint material?

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    On partswebsite.com, it looks as if the various buttons on the panel are grouped into four sets, with the cheapest set about $10 and the costliest $24, dealer price before discount. (They're under Instrument Panel / Cluster and Switches.) What I can't quite tell from the illustration is which set contains the button you want, so maybe a chat with your local dealer would work out better than trying to guess and order online. With the prices that reasonable, the effort of pulling used ones off a salvage Prius doesn't look very attractive, because it's pretty tedious work.

It pretty much boils down to taking out your center instrument panel (comes out with the MFD, radio, and all controls attached, you just disconnect about a dozen wiring connectors), laying it on a tidy workbench and disassembling it down to the buttons, which are about the last thing left after you've stripped everything else, swapping out the worn-down buttons, then putting everything back where it came from. If you're confident doing that kind of thing it's not hard, but there are a lot of small pieces.

To avoid cracking the finish panel, you might want to pick a time when it is warm (has been in the sun, or a nice toasty garage) and be sure not to miss any of the bolts/nuts, not even the ones behind the hazard switch. :)

Of course, when she sees you scattering cluster pieces all over the workbench, she has to believe they'll all go back together, or she won't be happier than she is now....

-Chap

12. justkyle

justkyle New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, it sounds like fun!:D

Seriously, I take apart laptops, iPhones, etc for fun and sometimes profit. I get it from taking apart all of my toys when I was a kid. Somehow, I always ended up with extra parts, but the toys still worked! Back then, maybe they were made in the U.S.A., but who could be sure? Nobody cared about lead paint in toys, etc. Nobody knew any better.

I wouldn't mind doing this, however the prospect of ending up with extra parts and a non-functional vehicle afterwards is kind of unsettling.:eek:

However; believe the vehicle to be suffering from either the dreaded "newarkitis" because the CD player doesn't seem to want to work (acts like it doesn't have any power) or maybe it isn't plugged in.

To fix that, would I have to disassemble the console anyway? If so, I guess I might as well swap that button out.

Let me know, what you think.

Kyle
    02 Prius
    getting painted this week.

It pretty much boils down to taking out your center instrument panel (comes out with the MFD, radio, and all controls attached, you just disconnect about a dozen wiring connectors), laying it on a tidy workbench and disassembling it down to the buttons, which are about the last thing left after you've stripped everything else, swapping out the worn-down buttons, then putting everything back where it came from. If you're confident doing that kind of thing it's not hard, but there are a lot of small pieces.

To avoid cracking the finish panel, you might want to pick a time when it is warm (has been in the sun, or a nice toasty garage) and be sure not to miss any of the bolts/nuts, not even the ones behind the hazard switch. :)

Of course, when she sees you scattering cluster pieces all over the workbench, she has to believe they'll all go back together, or she won't be happier than she is now....

-Chap[/QUOTE]

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Please take photos and share with the group.

Bob Wilson

14. justkyle

justkyle New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll post photos of the paint job after I pick it up, I promise!

I'll also post a photo of my steering wheel cover. It's one of those thrifty ways to "pimp" your ride...

Kyle

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm more interested in photos of your dash disassembly and reassembly. We have lots of photos of painted sheet metal but not so many of the stuff inside.

Bob Wilson

16. justkyle

justkyle New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So far, the parts I'm founding on the website are all around $1400-$1800.
    :eek:
    Junkyard prius may be the way to go.

I can take pictures anyway, I'll be trying to get to the bottom of this "newarkitis" thing, if anybody's interested...

Kyle
    02 Prius

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That sounds like you're looking at an assembly.

Try expanding Instrument Panel, then Cluster and Switches, then click pretty much any of the items under that heading (Finish Panel, say). Doesn't really matter which item you click, but once you are looking at the details for that item, there will be a button to the right for View Illustrations. Click that, and you should see an illustration with numbered callouts, and four of those are just sets of the plastic buttons. Those four sets (cleverly named Set #1, #2, #3, and #4) came up for me with prices between $10 and $24, and discounted prices less than that.

It does sometimes turn out that a part shown in the catalog isn't actually orderable; I don't think you can find out until you try to order it.

hope this helps,
    -Chap

... if you really decide you want to do the teardown, some of the highlights I remember after getting the console out, and removing the radio and MFD (straightforward) are taking out the climate control circuit board (requires undoing the nuts on the 3 rotary controls, and separating a flat cable from one of those on-PC-board clamp connectors, and clipping one nylon wire tie), and taking out a bunch of clear plastic light guides that distribute light from a few illumination bulbs to all of the buttons and legends). The buttons themselves are what's left after that. Then drop the light guides back into their places and put everything else back where it went. :)

1 person likes this.
  18. justkyle

justkyle New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed, but one of the unintended consequences would be a safe way to practice disassembly before actually doing the disassembly on my vehicle instead.
    That, to me, in a nutshell, is the sole allure of going to the scrapyards. The ability to practice on a car that is NOT YOUR OWN before actually doing the work to your car to fix it.

Kyle