1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

More electric car activity

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Abq Richard, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Abq Richard

Abq Richard New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Interesting that startups are getting into the electric car game.

"At least three Silicon Valley startups -- Tesla Motors of San Carlos, Calif., Wrightspeed Inc. of Woodside, Calif., and battery maker Li-on Cells of Menlo Park, Calif., -- are among a small cadre of companies nationwide developing electric cars or components."

"The [Tesla] Roadster will be able to drive about 250 miles on a single three-hour charge, drive up to 135 miles per hour and accelerate from zero to 60 in four seconds, Eberhard said. It will cost between $85,000 and $120,000."

http://autos.aol.com/article/hybrid/hub/_a...728141909990001

2. Mirza

Mirza New Member

I spent like the last hour looking at pictures of this beast... amazing. They have two more generations... each successive one will be cheaper. The next model will be half the cost of the current... and third cheaper than the second.

They are working with solarcity (www.solarcity.com) to provide a solar charging solution for the Roadster... or you'll be able to purchase a solar system for your home from what I hear.

www.teslamotors.com

No, I'm not an employee... but I just think this is so freaking cool. Before I ever heard about hybrids, I had always wanted an electric vehicle.

3. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Tesla motors now have anounced the first 100 will cost 100k. It comes with the hardtop as part of the limited run (with other limited goodies).

Don't look yet. AC Propulsion is starting to spread news about their Scion Xb EV. They are working on a new webpage already.... http://www.acpropulsion.com/new.htm

Tom Gage said that he is converting Scion Xb for those want ONE NOW (at a cost)... $55k + Scion Xb. That is about $75k.... :unsure: :blink:

Guess most have to wait for the $40k-ish price tag when they officially release it then. :(

4. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm dreaming about that Scion Xb convertion. Though if it ends up north of $40k...

Sure hope they can get a network of dealers out over the next few years

5. apeweek

apeweek New Member

6. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apeweek @ Aug 13 2006, 05:05 PM) [snapback]302682[/snapback]</div>
    Rock on!

7. apeweek

apeweek New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Aug 16 2006, 09:54 PM) [snapback]304451[/snapback]</div>
    The Chinese seem to be very keen on EVs. They know there will never be enough oil for them. I think these are the batteries in the XS200 car:

http://www.everspring.net/product-battery.htm

You'll notice that these Li-Ion batteries are actually for sale; it's not a 'coming soon' product. Look at the price per watt - it's the same as for lead-acid batteries.

Next, look at the claimed charge cycles; it's twice what other Li-Ion batteries can do. If true, a 200-mile pack will last for 220,000 miles. No battery changes for the life of the car.

I hear the 2008 Olympic athletes will be driven around in buses powered by these Thunder Sky batteries.

I predict more Chinese EVs will be arriving, at unbeatable prices. Detroit, as usual, won't even be paying attention.