1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

More Evidence of the need of SUV training/license class requirement

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by donee, Jan 16, 2011.

1. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

I was a witness, albeit a half-awake witness, to an accident this week, which gives further support for the need for SUV special training, and license level.

That day, this week, I was a passenger (carpooling) in the front passenger seat. I was drifting in and out of sleep while we cruised along the interstate. At the point of the accident, the interstate was five lanes, call them 1 for the fast lane, to 5 for the lane all the way to the left.

We were cruising along in lane 3. A few moments earlier I had noticed a light blue first generation Prius in Lane 4, and pointed it out to the driver, who was not familiar with the first generation of the Prius. This Prius, of between 7 and 10 years old was Jay Leano collector car imaculate! I had never seen the light blue before, and it is truely a fantastic color! Unfortuneately, this car would not be in such great condition after the accident, due to the incompentent operation by yet another SUV driver.

Initially, I had my eyses shut, and heard the driver gasp. I quickly opened my eyes, and did not see anything initially wrong at that time. There were two dark colored small cars close to each other in Lanes 1 and 2, about 20 yards ahead of us. We were in Lane 3. The car in lane 2 rear bumper was even with the front bumper of the car in lane 1. There was a heavy deposit of salt in the center of each lane.

The car in lane 2 accellerated slightly then steered over into lane 1. At that time, this car lost control and its axial line veered off its direction of travel, and it rapidly moved in front of the car in lane 1. It also slowed quickly. The car in lane one had only a brief moment to counter steer, and it steered towards lane 2. There were at least two impacts, the first of which pushed the car initially from lane 1 broadside to its direction of travel, and that direction of travel was inline with lane 1. The second impact turned the car initially from lane 2, so that the car was reversed in its axial orientation. At this point, the two cars became entangled and slid off into shoulder to the left of lane 1, and smashed into the center divider concrete wall.

I can only guess that the lane 2 car hit a thick section of roadway salt under high accelleration , which caused its passenger side drive wheel to loose traction. And that resulted in its rapid pull to the left in front of the Lane 1 car. It could have be a tire failure as well, I suppose.

As the two smashed up cars flew off to the left, I scanned the complete roadway ahead of us. The first generation Prius was about 75 yards in front of us, off over to our right in lane 5. We continued along in lane 3

Then a dark colored SUV went flying by us in Lane 2. It then closely passed in front of us, in a distance of about 5 yards. It was doing in excess of 15 mph faster than we were, as best I can remember.

This was at least 3 seconds after the first two cars went into the wall.

The SUV continued in a direction that crossed lanes, and drove right into the driver side rear fender of the Prius. Being well ahead of the first accident, I doubt the Prius driver had seen it.

After impact with the Prius, the SUV continued off to the right, and out of my line of sight. I was now concentrating on the Prius, which was knocked to about a 30 degree angle off the direction of previous travel, and rapidly veered off to the left in front of us. As we had slowed slightly to stay behind the initial accident, and the Prius had not, it passed sliding sidways in front of us, across all five lanes, and impacted the center wall, which then snapped it around into a reverse direction.

What a Shame this all was. Incompetent 2nd lane driver, not realising the issue with salt coated surfaces, with poorly maintained tires, or both , and then the incompetence of the SUV driver, to be in such a panic to move right, that it almost hit us, and then the SUV not having sufficient manueverability or braking capability to avoid hitting what was previously a collector car first generation Prius.

I really think the Illinois State Police need to start doing more rolling patrols in this area. As the next day, less than a mile further down this road, was another accident, that resulted in a death. People are just not driving with sufficient caution on I-355 northbound.

As many of you know, my 2006 Prius was totalled on an on-ramp to this road back in September 2010 by an incompently operated SUV.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I read this moments after reading the local news of two icy crashes just across Stevens Pass, over at Leavenworth. To cross the mountain passes in winter, many folks prefer SUVs and trucks for their reputed snow handling ability, and because in a collision, the one with the most lug nuts wins.

First crash, a 2008 Suburban lost control on the ice and rolled. Driver and kids in hospital, wife dead. Fifteen minutes later and one mile away, a 2008 F350 lost control on the ice and rolled, driver has a broken neck. It seems that at his age of 82, this could soon be a mortal injury.

So much for the safety of extra weight and lug nuts. I'll stick with vehicles much more nimble and much less prone to rollover.

3. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sadly - nobody is looking toward any driving competence testing for SUVs. In fact, the only push is toward more distractions in SUVs - and other autos for that matter.

It all comes down to the dollar. Unless it makes someone big money, it's not going to happen regardless as to the safety risks.

-Brad

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. Unfortunately, when there are conditions w/virtually no traction, these vehicles fare no better. Some of these SUV and truck drivers are overconfident thinking they're king of the road because they have 4WD/AWD but that doesn't help when it comes to stopping.

Even in the absence of suboptimal conditions, full-sized SUVs and truck have terrible accident avoidance capabilities in the form of terrible handling and braking along w/the propensity to rollover,
    I too wish there were. Short of making them illegal to buy, people who buy SUVs and trucks over a certain curb weight (say 5000+ lbs.) or size ought to be REQUIRED to take extra and periodic driver esp. when it comes to emergency situations. They also ought to be subject to lower speed limits just as big rig trucks are due to the above poor accident avoidance capabilities and their high curb weight, increasing the likelihood of serious injury or death to others in multi-car accidents.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How about a special license (e.g. semi-CDL) for any vehicle that doesn't meet the full set of passenger car safety standards, including the crash compatibility standards that ordinary sedans must meet?

This removes the need to argue about the weight threshold. It will also catch many owners by surprise.

The high non-occupant death rate is what most concerns me. But I usually don't mention it because most of the drivers don't seem to care. Too many of them even use the extra non-occupant deaths as proof their SUVs/ trucks are safer than the cars they hit.

6. DotBone89

DotBone89 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    THE FAST LANE SHOULD BE THE LEFT LANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Me thinks YOU (the OP) should get some training!

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why does the front seat passenger need training?

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. (For me, mainly directed towards full-sized SUV drivers) That's the problem along w/them not caring (or realizing) our dependence on foreign oil, that their actions can and do affect others along w/the other attributes I mentioned earlier. It's all just about me me me. Sigh... :mad::(

I don't take a huge issue w/people driving small or medium-sized SUVs or minivans so long as it's commensurate w/actual need.

9. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi dotb...,

You apparently did not read my original post carefully.

First, I was not driving. Second, we were in the 3 rd lane from the left, not in a Prius, but a full sized American sedan and after everything was over, were not involved in any collision at all. I can only praise the driver of the vehicle I was in for staying aside ahead, and then behind the collisions, and out-of-control vehicles all around us! 4th, the driver that was cutoff in the fast lane was doing 65 mph in a 55 mph zone. 6th, going faster was apparently too fast for condtions due to the salt dust deposits on the roadway, as the initial collision proved. And finally, the collision with the Prius was in the 5 th lane, a lane that eventually exits, snd should have been the lane where slowest traffic is, yet the SUV shot over there at about 70 mph.

10. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi cwerda and fuzzy1,

Yes. I think we really really need a heavy-weight vehicle license class. I doubt many professional CDL drivers would conflict with this opinion. Anything over 5500 pounds, and / or taller than 6 feet, should require this training/license class.

I say height as a requirement for the training, because on other occaisions, I have been endagered by SUV drivers, who did not realise the height of their vehicle resulted in vision blokage of other vehicles around them. I had one SUV driver wave traffic in front of me, as I proceeded along in the right lane of a secondary road, while the SUV was was stopped for traffic at an intersection in its lane. She attempted to wave oncoming left turner to drive right into me. The SUV was a Hummer H2.

11. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's nearly time for me to go to work. My observation is that I have seen many rearenders and off hiway excursions by FWD vehicle drivers who seem to think FWD includes brakes which defy all the laws of physics.

12. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Tony,

My point is that everybody is trained to drive a car in driver's ed, but nobody gets SUV/Large Pickup operation education as part of standard driver's ed. Yet, they are given the right to operate a much more dangerous, and difficult to control vehicle by merely passing the driving test in the typical 3000 pound car.

SUV's/Large Pickups have peculiarities of operation and design which make them more likely to go out of control, and once out of control there is much more energy of motion associated with these vehicles that will cause much more damage. By the same laws of physics that less impact is imparted to the occupant of a SUV, that much more impact is imparted to the objects/people that a SUV hits. To have the right to have that amount of energy at one's command, it only seems reasonable one should have to learn how to control and demonstrate the capability of that level of control.

2 people like this.
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no 'law of physics' that says larger vehicle occupants suffer less 'impact' in single vehicle crashes. Historically, they actually suffered more because the manufacturers took full advantage of the weaker / cheaper design requirements. The 'all else being equal' comparison between weight classes did not apply to the real world because all else was not even close to being equal. But the gap has narrowed in recent years.

I wish I could relocate a couple studies from ten years ago. One chart compared mortality rates of the 1995-1999 models of most popular vehicles. An item etched into my memory was that the Ford Explorer had a slightly higher occupant death rate than the Honda Civic, but the Explorer inflicted more than twice as much death to non-occupants than did the Civic.

And pickups? They made SUVs look safe.

14. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A couple years ago, I met one guy who was an engineer for WORKS (famous car tuners based at Infineon raceway). He used to do work for NHTSA, and he told me that the worst crash test he had ever seen was for a pickup truck (I think it was for an F250, the one with the two axles on the back) where it basically collapsed and flipped over in a frontal offset collision.

15. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In my opinion the issue is not so much with SUV's in general but with the generally crappy driving habits of us Americans - there are all sorts of terrible drivers in smaller cars as well. That being said, I think that SUV's do tend to draw in a segment that can drive like jerks.
    Just my opinion but the compared to many other countries the requirements to get a license as well as traffic enforcement are just so lax and that is the root of the problem.

2 people like this.
  16. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Steve...,

Well, yea. And the SUV specific training would help to deal with that, would it not ?

But, you also have the oblivious drivers too, who are in a SUV to save their own rear-end, besides the one that drive agresssively, for agresiveness sake. Again, SUV traning would deal with that. When the reality of the limitation of the SUV is made apparent, allot of them are going to amend their driving behaviors.

With either type of driver, the situations propagate until the SUV handling/braking characteristics are insufficient to recover the situation. And then people/property get badly injured. This is why training is needed to bring to the concious level when they are going beyond the capbilities of their vehicles.

17. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sure - more training will help somewhat, but as far as I can tell there is just no way to actually do it. How would it be done? As far as I could tell the only way to actually implement that is to create a new license class for larger passenger vehicles and there is no way in hell that would happen.

But back to the original point of training. We all had to study and pass a couple of tests to get our license. I know that my folks required me to take a drivers ed class as well. While it was 1986 when I took the class I still remember what was taught but in my day to day driving I see tons of people ignoring even the basic rules of the road - here in the Philly area no one actually stops at a stop sign, they constantly run red lights and you always have slow cars driving in the left lane on the highway despite the posted - pass left, keep right signs and a ton of others and at least once a month I see someone blow by my daughter's stopped bus (with lights flashing and stop sign extended). These are all pretty easy rules of the road to remember - it is not like trying to remember if you need to stay 50, 100 or 200 yards behind a fire engine when the lights are flashing.

So - I do not know if most people forget what the were taught about driving or just do not give a hoot, but I think training would be wasted by most.

So back to my original point - us Americans are pretty lousy drivers - we look at it as a right and not a privilege. I think that there should be added training all around and I believe that people should have to re-qualify to get their license renewed, but that is not going to happen.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Common driving habits are the primary problem, though the inherent problem of human error is also a big issue.

But with those crappy driving habits, drivers can and do inflict more death and serious injury upon others with the bigger vehicles, especially those not required to meet the full suite of passenger car safety standards, than with smaller cars that do meet those standards.