1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

More Gas, Less Mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Taser, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Taser

Taser New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A few days ago, I decided to "top off" my tank as suggested by some in previous posts. When the range reset in the computer, it said I could expect to get 460 miles out of this tank. So here is my question/issues:

I put in between 9.0 and 9.4 gallons and it says I can expect to get 540-560 miles out of that tank.

I put in 10.0 gallons (top it off) and it says I can expect to get 460 miles out of that tank?

For some reason, it just doesn't seem right. Anyone else?

2. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i think it uses your average mpg, to guess your "range". But the range means nothing, you can add over 100 miles after the range says 0. I would just ignore it.

3. Taser

Taser New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's too bad it doesn't have a "Gallons Used" meter. That would be useful in gauging the tank.

4. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not sure I have this exactly right, but it works something like this:

When you top off, "miles to empty" resets based on a full tank (down to the warning light, not all the way to fumes). The number of miles is based on lifetime mpg or something like that.

When you add at least 2 gallons but do not fill the tank to full, "miles to empty" is recalculated based on your mpg for the current tank.