1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

More help - seat covers vs side air bags

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lajudice, Jul 25, 2008.

1. lajudice

lajudice New Member

i have read a lot of posts on seat covers and side air bags. I have a 2007 Prius, Package 2. I know that side air bags are standard on the Prius. Almost all of the posts I've read talk about the side air bag in the seat, and a slit in the seat cover to accommodate it. I just spoke with Toyota Customer Service and they said the side air bag is in the side roof panel and NOT the seat. So why all the seat cover questions? Can't I just buy regular, cheap (at least cheaper than Toyota's $169 front only) seat covers??? Is there something I'm missing?:confused:

2. Jiipa

Jiipa MGySgt USMC (Ret)

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The 2007 came standard with airbags in the side of both front seats to protect your ribcage area and curtain airbags that deploy from the side roof pannels.

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm shocked that Toyota told you something so wrong.

Like Jiipa said -- The front seats have side airbags that protect your torso, and that deploy from the side of the seat (approximately where that tag that says SRS is sticking out); and then there are side curtain airbags that protect the heads of front and rear occupants, and that deploy from the side roof panels (or maybe from the front and rear pillars approximately where they say SRS carved into the plastic).

That said, there are still inexpensive seat covers you can get that supposedly accommodate the front seats side airbags.

Here's a full front and rear set of seatcovers for $69:

eBay Motors: 2005-8 TOYOTA PRIUS 2 ROWS SEAT COVERS GRAY DLX (item 310068330573 end time Jul-25-08 16:19:54 PDT)

Good luck.