1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

More HP? Can it be done?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by JaviNOS, Mar 10, 2007.

1. JaviNOS

JaviNOS Mod Freak

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I know its a hybrid not a race car... but what the heck it sounds like fun :D
    I've had something on my mind for a while. I dont know if you guys are aware of it but the Yaris engine(1NZ-FE) is a variant from the current Prius engine(1NZ-FXE). I think its all the same just better compression making more horsepower. The Prius engine throws about 76hp to the flywheel.. while the Yaris throws 106hp to the flywheel thats a good 30hp difference that may help a little... The same happens with the torque... Improving acceleration and high speed response.

Has anyone tried or looked into this? :unsure:

This may help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_NZ_engine

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. JaviNOS

JaviNOS Mod Freak

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 10 2007, 02:39 AM) [snapback]403228[/snapback]</div>
    seems as if they improved gearing but no compression or engine change is mentioned but it sounds cool... great answering speed by the way :D . They did change something in the engine because their horsepower is much higher on the gasoline engine unless hp includes the battery in their specifications...

they made a 130mph record.. I once did 110mph on mine :unsure: that may be a record here in Puerto Rico hahaha

4. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Javinos,

The total Prius power rating is 110 hp. But also, the car does not waste time shifting, so that saves a second up to 60 mph. Remember you have a 30+ hp battery under the rear seat.

I doubt the difference in power is more compression. The Prius is already 13:1 expansion ratio, with variable compression ratio (achieved through variable valve timing). The difference is probably related to the cam. It could have more overlap to optimize the higher RPM in the echo engine. The Prius engine max RPM is 5500, whereas I would expect the Echo engine is 6500 rpm.

I think a more straightforward way to improve power would be a small turbo-charger. If its the right size it might benefit both mileage and power. An aussie on-line car magazine editor did this to a Generation 1 Prius. He found the system controlled the turbo engine just fine, and it became a much better hill climbing car, but was not otherwise impressive. There is lots of room back behind the engine there. I think they made room for the Turbo in the initial design. The next generation Prius is to be turbo-charged according to on-line reports.

Although you might want to keep your A/C Compresser their in Puerto Rico, but one could think about using the A/C Compressor power to run three-phase brushless DC motor driven supercharger. Although not sure how to hack the A/C controls to get max RPM on demand. The A/C compressor is speed controlled, so the supercharger could be too, which might be tunable for fuel economy and power.

5. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    76 hp is the output of the ICE alone. It is more efficient but less powerful than the Yaris engine because it uses an Atkinson Cycle instead of the standard Otto Cycle.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Mar 10 2007, 10:04 AM) [snapback]403339[/snapback]</div>
    Classic Prius max ICE RPM is 4,500.
    04 Prius max ICE RPM is 5,000.

7. charliem

charliem New Member

Sts turbo sytems, manufactures a turbo that replaces the muffler.Plenty of room back there.

8. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Modifying the engine is probably a waste of time and money for the gain. Replacing it, along with the transmission, is possible.

I'd recommend going the "Wolf in Rabbit's Clothing" route though.

Someone took a Rabbit and dropped the body on a Porsche 9-11 frame.

Just take your Prius body and drop it on a Boxter frame or some such. Then you can have the hottest Prius around if that's what floats your boat.

9. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Getting an engine to produce more power is not a hard task as long as one knows that obviously to do so requires more fuel and the more fuel you add the more your MPG goes down, QUICKLY!!

A while back I put my 05 Prius on our Dynojet chassis dyno and posted the results here. In order to modify the car's engine you first have to have access to reprogram the PCM in order to richen the fuel mixture and advance/retard the ignition timing. I don't think anyone other than the factory has such tools at their disposal.

The bottom line is that in a car like the Prius, maximum hp was not the designers intent but sufficient power and excellent gas milage was. In addition, the Prius was designed to be a "green" car and as such keeping emissions to an absolute minimum.

10. bfenenga

bfenenga Junior Member

If the compression ratio truly is 13:1 then you'd need to drop it before just adding a turbo.

First post, great looking forum, should get my touring model withing the next 2 days!

11. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bert Fenenga @ Apr 2 2007, 03:06 AM) [snapback]416325[/snapback]</div>
    Bert,

The true compression ratio is not 13:1. It is much lower due to the valve timing. The intake valves remain open or the first part of the compression stroke. This is what makes it an "Atkinson Cycle" engine.

Adding a small amount of turbo pressure would prevent some of the backflow of fuel mixture into the intake manifold. This was done in a "Classic" Prius with good (perhaps not enough to be worth the effort) results a few years ago.

JeffD

12. bfenenga

bfenenga Junior Member

If that's the case then it would make sense to do a turbo install. I can't imagine it would sap that much fuel if you're not into it heavily, and it's available when you need it. What would really be a cool idea is a cutoff switch for the turbo, only flip it when you need it.

13. member

member New Member

AutoSpeed - Technokill: Building a Blown Hybrid, Part 1

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2567/article.html

Site is down at this moment, but I've been there a few times so expect/hope this is temporary. Summary is that yes you can add a blower/turbo but with the way power is managed by the computer, you won't notice that as more acceleration, but will keep your MG boost always available by keeping the battery topped off even under long heavy loads.