1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MORE NEWS ON MARKUPS/AVAILABILITY/WAIT

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bob Allen, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hello Prions:
    I sent a letter to my first dealer last week wanting to know if the handwritten paper was an actual order , etc, etc. Mostly, I wanted to know that there were human beings on the other end of this process. My salesperson is a sweet guy from some Baltic country whose command of English, I thought, was fine, but who felt he wanted his manager to respond to me.
    So, the manager calls me. Also a very nice guy (aren't they all??). He was pretty straightforward. Toyota has really screwed their dealerships by not giving them accurate production information. To backup, Toyota screwed up by totally underestimating the demand to begin with. Many dealers are giving unfounded information about the wait times in order to secure orders; some are promising cars in as little as 60 days. According to my guy, the wait could be 8 months and many of us will probably get 2005 models.
    Because of the interim shortage, many dealers are tacking on 995 bucks to the MSRP, and, as this seems to be standard practice anytime there is an extreme shortage and high demand, most of us on the waiting list who are willing to pay the 995 surcharge would have a better chance of getting a car that came in out of sequence, i.e. the first claimant on the car rejected it because of color or option package and the car was now "available". Those unwilling to pay the (temporary) surcharge, will probably have to wait until the production numbers come up. Eventually, the car will be available at more reasonable prices.
    Consider, however, that the 2005 model year will also see a price increase (usual) of 3 or 4 percent over this year's model, with probably very few changes in the car itself over the 2004 model. We are in a kind of limbo here. I told my first dealer that I would pay the surcharge if it meant getting into one in less than 6 months.
    The 2005 model year production begins around July.
    I suggested to the sales manager that he check the Prius chat line to get some idea of the anger and frustration out here. He didn't know about our chatline, but was very interested. He said that Toyota is likely monitoring it as well because this is turning out to be a major public relations bomb for them.
    Toyota is being very Japanese about this and trying to "save face". BUT, kids, here's some more news from my dealer: Toyota has taken over the ordering process from the dealerships and requested the computer print outs of those of us who ordered cars. Toyota will be contacting each of us directly with (hopefully) an apology for the screw up, and some idea of when we can get cars and what they are going to do to make that possible. Ah so, grasshopper, I believe when I see.
    There have been several stages in the introduction of the new Prius: Owners of classic Prii were given the first chance to order new ones. Toyota made it clear to dealers that these folks would not have to pay above MSRP; no gouging, no surcharges. That accounted for about a third of the original production numbers. Then the car was released to the rest of us. An initial and fortunate group of buyers ordered their cars very early on and were getting them at MSRP in reasonable time. That accounted for the second third of the production numbers. Now, we are into the scramble for the remaining Prii and it is turning into a free for all, with some dealers taking high advantage of what is clearly a very lopsided buyer-seller see-saw.
    Hope this gives you some light on the situation. We are in for a long wait, I think.
    Bob

2. tag

tag Senior Member

Great post, Bob!

To add some more fuel to the fire, take a peek at the Yahoo! home page but hold on to your waistband........it features a click-through 2004 Prius ad!!

IMHO, if Toyota were truly sincere concerning its remorse for their "screw up" and our plight as a result, they'd discontinue ALL advertising of the 2004 Prius (either that or insert some sort of disclaimer indicating the 2004 MY is sold out). The fact that they continue to advertise the car indicates Toyota is trying to get as much mileage (no pun intended) out of the COTY award and the car's innovative design which doesn't exactly inure to the benefit of those of us on a waiting list.

3. jrawles

jrawles New Member

If Toyota management was interested in cleaning up the mess, it would distribute cars to dealers based on the date of the deposit.

I've been waiting so long I'm not sure what to do: Order a 2005, get a Highlander, or maybe all get a Honda natural gas vehicle?

meanwhile, my garage remains empty,

4. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

Interesting rumor about Toyota taking over the orders. Like you I'll believe it when I get the call, but sounds like it would be useful.

As far as your dealer selling cars in order of who is willing to cough up $995 extra rather than in order of the date of placing order, that is unethical. The rule should be "Nobody else who ordered my particular color/options after me should get offered my car until I have the opportunity to buy it for the price agreed at ordering". If your dealer is bypassing people who ordered early and are unwilling to pay the unagreed markup, in favor of selling to people who ordered later and are willing to pay it, that is unethical. Assuming you had agreed on MSRP at ordering.

Fremont Toyota was doing something similar, taking cars that had been ordered and adding leather seats for $5000 profit and selling to people who walk in off the street, before offering them to those who ordered at MSRP. Ed Ang complained to Toyota and seems to have gotten Fremont's attention.

5. N9IWP

N9IWP New Member

Dianne or Steve B could confirm/deny "Toyota has taken over the ordering process from the dealerships and requested the computer print outs of those of us who ordered cars. "

Unless they are sworn to not comment on it...

Brian
    (cue X-Files music)

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Bob, a great post! Thanks for all of the information - now let's see if this is more smoke and mirrors or if this is what Toyota is actually doing. I know that Toyota is in fact monitoring the site and receives reports of what PriusChat members have to say.

Jim - strictly from a business POV, you can't blame Yota for milking it for all it's worth. This is setting up the future of their business in hybrids - the more press they have on it now, the more the name of the Toyota Hybrid gets out there. I guarantee Honda wishes they had this kind of press for their hybrid.

7. NorthStar

NorthStar Junior Member

- delete -

8. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Tag, I caught a new Prius commercial on the Discovery Science channel last night. Very well done, but why spend money on advertising a vehicle you can't deliver?

9. jaa

jaa Junior Member

Re: Toyota taking over all orders.
    Our main reasons to buy a Prius in order of importance:
    1. Toyota reliability
    2. Mid size car with hatch back
    3. Gas mileage
    We have been looking for a way to contact Toyota with our disgust of the way "orders" have been handled. We believe this fiasco only hurts Toyota in the end. If Toyota wants to retain it's reputation and keep buyers returning to buy Toyota cars, trucks, suvs, they need to fix this mess. We hope Toyota reads this and other PriusChat members add their two cents. jaa

10. tag

tag Senior Member

That's true. However, the first order of business should be to ensure that end users who have ordered the product aren't getting hosed, IMHO. Also, they could easily promote the real innovation here, the HSD, rather than the car itself.

11. RobertO

RobertO New Member

Michael's Toyota in bellevue, WA has just under 100 back orders.

Each order is at MSRP; no 2nd sticker.

I guess that's why they have nearly 100 back orders.

This as of noon today (2/10).

Bob

12. tag

tag Senior Member

Man, that's a ton of orders! I hope this dealer sold a lot of Classics.

13. HFFL

HFFL New Member

It true, I walked into the Toyota dealership last Tuesday. They had 1 Prius, #4, but they said it was not for sale. then I got a call Friday & they told me they have been authorized to sell it and if I gave them a $500 deposit that they would call all 10 people who were in front of me & offer it to them first. Of course I gave them the deposit & I later received a call stating I could come in & pick up the Prius today since the others on the list turned the Prius down. I ended up paying a grand over sticker, just like Bob stated in the original post, just to get the vehicle. I am alright with that since I only had a 3 day wait period. Believe me, this car was worth it!

14. N9IWP

N9IWP New Member

My dealer says:

There is no truth to this. Toyota does not sell directly to customers and
    there is no screw up. The truth of the matter is that they have built a car
    that is so successful that they couldn't anticipate the number of orders
    that they would receive and they are racing to get enough product out.

For what it is worth

Brian

15. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A bit OT, but the greeting at the beginning of this http://priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?...=593&highlight= thread Bob addressed us all as "Prions"--an interesting choice.

Clearly there is the 'Pri' part suggesting the Prius, and the 'ons' part suggesting members of a similar group. Ok, that's fine. But, Prion sounds an aweful lot like Peon--people of servitude or "a body of people united by a common language, institution, beliefs (or car?).

But, most interestingly to me, a Prion is another name for the same group of slow viruses that cause Mad Cow Disease and it's human counterpart. That may be the most apropos name for all of us yet with this fanatacism about something as ridiculous as a car!!

16. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bob responds: The choice of "prions" was made intentionally. We are all affected by "mad car disease", I think.

17. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bob responds: The dealer didn't say that Toyota was going to sell cars directly to us, but that they wanted to see the names of those who had placed orders. My understanding is that T of A will write some pathetic, smarmy, face saving nonesense to us as "valued customers" (it wouldn't take much thought to imagine what they would say) in an attempt to smooth over this public relations fiasco. The dealers would still be selling the cars. So, unless Toyota ups production and deliveries, we'll still be where we are now. What I WOULD like to see, though, is some intervention on the part of Toyota to stop dealers from selling already ordered cars at hijack prices to people off the street.....unless, possibly, Toyota is in kahoots with the dealers and they are together gouging us.
    Bob

18. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    p.s. My car finder dealer told me that dealers across the US tried to convince Toyota early on that this car would be a blockbuster. Toyota originally planned to produce 200% of the 2003 Prius numbers, but the dealers said that was not nearly enough. Toyota blew it by not listening to the guys selling the cars. I think they will finally even it all out by upping production, but it will take a few months before we see the increased flow of cars.
    Meanwhile, we should all have patience and not say (too many) bad words about the people making and selling these nice cars.......Does anyone else feel slightly ridiculous getting all hyped up about a...well, a car? There's a god awful lot wrong in the world and somehow being all bent out of shape about a car seems like too narrow a focus. Just a thought as I regain balance.
    Enjoy the day. Flowers are starting to bloom in my neighborhood.
    Bob

19. satchm0

satchm0 New Member

What's your point? Do you honestly believe all dealers are ethical?

Please don't take this personally. These are rhetorical questions. 8)

20. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You guys have too much time on your hands...

(from the guy who spends at least 20 hours a week on this site)