1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

More NYC hybrids coming - Crown Vic departing

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jun 27, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No Town Car or Crown Vic? N.Y. Streets Won

I remember there was a law suit complaining the hybrids were unsafe for taxi service.

Bob Wilson

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In 2008, a federal judge struck down New York City's law setting fuel economy standards for new taxis which essentially only hybrids would have met. The judge reasoned or held that air quality and fuel economy standards were something for the federal government to decide.

Then in 2009, Mayor Bloomberg tried to accomplish the same thing as the stricken law, but with tax incentives and tax penalties. But the same judge struck those tax measures down -- saying that they amounted to the same law that he had struck down in 2008.

3. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe they'll try again. everything i've read says the ford fusion would be an acceptable replacement for the crown vic. don't know if it has enough cargo area and power for patrol cars though.

4. Bababooey

Bababooey Horse Toothed Jackass

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a friend who is a taxi dispatcher at a yellow (medallion) cab company in the Bronx. They recently switched their new cab fleet from the Ford Escape Hybrid to the Toyota Prius. The Escape Hybrids were plagued with problems, and were becoming prohibitively expensive to maintain. He tells me that the Prius is a much more reliable vehicle, although it seems that the horrible NYC streets are doing a number on the suspensions of these cars.

5. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I Predict:drum: That soon you'll see a package for the Prius that beefs up the suspension and makes the car ride slightly higher off the ground, also with a plain vinyal interior.