1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

more questions from a newbie!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by barbie.gee, Oct 26, 2005.

1. barbie.gee

barbie.gee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not even a week with my Prius, but I'm happy as can be so far...
    more questions, however!

1) I can't seem to get any of the file downloads even though I'm registered here. Is that because of the server crash in August?

2) I'd like to look at some fuel/mpg log templates, and/or something for the Palm OS, so I can track that stuff, (including temp and tire pressure would be good)

3) I can't seem to get the cruise control to resume itself after I tap the brake a little, but need to get back to speed. I don't believe I'm decreasing more than 10mph, but... Maybe I just need more practice.

4) I've been glancing at the multidisplay screen that shows "energy" and wondering what is the optimum config I should be looking for? green into the battery is good, but how do I know what mix/rate of pink and yellow is good. I've read some folks talking about "ICE". What's that exactly?

(I've done my best to search the forums for this info first, but I'm finding that I generally only get error messages, not any info! Again, I'm suspecting it's since the crash, yes?)

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't even know how complicated all those questions are. There are threads after threads discussing each of these. I'll try for some 'snap shot' answers, but you'll need to do some deeper research if you want the in depth 'poop'.

I'll let others make template suggestions. I found a Palm program called Highway Manager"Highway" for about $20 that's pretty easy to use. Also, don't forget you can use the Greenhybrid.com site to track your mileage.

This is the complicated part. And the only answer is "it depends". Green to battery is not "good" any more than yellow from the battery is "bad"--it just is. The most efficient powered scenario is when you are in the 'dead-band'--no arrows to or from the battery. The most efficient non-powered is under 41mph with no arrows showing at all--'gliding'. Besides that you just want to drive with moderate acceleration and avoid rapid or unnecessary slowing down and acceleration. You can search for "Pulse and Glide" and get some deeper insight into extracting the greatest possible efficiency from your car. But for right now "just drive it" is my best advice. Watch that energy screen not so much to manipulate the technique, but rather to try to better understand and predict what the car is going to do under various conditions. I think you'll find that you want to go to the consumption screen in a couple of weeks to see if you can start getting your 5 minute averages higher. Then, eventually, you'll want to go back to the Energy screen to really start using it to manipulate the car to even better extract all the possible mileage.

I have no trouble with the search tool at all. Are you using Internet Explorer? Maybe try upgrading to Firefox.

3. rogerSC

rogerSC Member

"ICE" is the "internal combustion engine", the gas engine component of your hybrid.

-Roger