1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

More questions from a potential buyer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by momfortheenvironment, Mar 20, 2006.

1. momfortheenvironment

1) Looks like it will be several miles of city driving and the rest highway. I watched my mileage on my passat and I'm sure the prius will save me gas. I guess I'm wondering since the speed limit in my area is about 65 on the highway, what kind of mileage will that get?
    2) Any other NH drivers out there on this board? I read that thread about the snow and that sort of scared me. Sounds like the stabilizer option is a must for my area.
    3) Anyone else trade int their car? How does that work if you put more miles on it while waiting for one to come in?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1) 65mph? I'd wager 47mpg or thereabouts in the summer. Lower when new and in the winter.

2) stabiliser?

3) The dealer usually gives you an upper limit on the mileage before trade in.

3. rubyhorndog

rubyhorndog New Member

Last summer I put 2000 miles on my husband's 05 Prius over a 10 day period. With temps of 96 degrees and traveling over mountains with air conditioning running full throttle, I averaged 53 mpg. I was sold on the Prius, but had no reason to trade in my 03 Honda Pilot until Katrina hit. After watching gas prices climb to $3.50, I ordered a new Prius, and after waiting 6 months, it came in 3 weeks ago! The dealer gave me a fair trade - they valued the Pilot at 'good' Kelly Blue Book. Of course, that amount went down as each month passed, but so did the amount I owed on the Pilot. In any case, it was worth the wait... Oh, and 2 days after I had received the Prius, I had to drive 150 miles through a snow storm on I-95 and various Parkways near NYC. I was nervous not only because I was in my brand spanking new car, but because I had become accustomed to driving all wheel drive cars for the last 6 years, and that was to be the first time back behind a 2 wheel drive car in the snow. The Prius (VSC) handled really well and I admit a little pride as I passed the SUV's in the ditch, as well as watched a couple of Subarus fishtailing their way along the Parkway. :D

4. momfortheenvironment

VSC thats what I meant
    Well even 47 mpg beats about 23!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks I'll probably do a test drive this week. Passat is just about paid, so if they give me an upper limit on mileage hopefully I can stay there. Thanks for all the great input.

5. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

What is "the rest Highway' in terms of miles. That will what you will get also. If it's 10 or 40 miles.

6. momfortheenvironment

roughly around 15 miles on highway in each direction.

7. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My daily drive is about 20 miles on surface streets and 20 miles on freeways. I am averaging 48 MPG over the first 3,000 miles of operation, and I drive like a maniac. None of this "pulse and glide" stuff for me ... I have places to go, people to see! Get out of my way, I'm in a hurry!

I routinely drive 70 mph and above (until I stop because of traffic ... California freeways are either white-knuckle fast or maddingly slow ... and often back and forth over the course of 10 miles!)

8. momfortheenvironment

thanks again, that would still be way better!!!