1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Morning Edition / Corporations Push Congress on Climate Policy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by adamwmcanally, Jun 13, 2007.

1. adamwmcanally

adamwmcanally New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Morning Edition, June 13, 2007 · The U.S. Congress has begun to grapple with climate change.

This new interest isn't necessarily reflected in the street parking around the Capitol. Stroll through the areas where senators and top staffers park, and you'll see a big Cadillac from Oklahoma, and a GMC Envoy SUV from New Hampshire. You might see one or two Ford Escapes — SUV hybrids.

But as the climate change debate gets serious, lawmakers are more likely to be interested in vehicles like Les Goldman's Toyota Prius.

The shiny, black Prius has a newly designed nanophosphate battery pack that turns it into a plug-in hybrid. If you could buy the car — which you can't — you could recharge it from a wall socket; there's a plug in the rear bumper.

A company called A123 Systems invented the battery pack. Les Goldman is the lawyer hired by the company to represent it in Washington. He has been bringing the Prius up to Capitol Hill, singing its praises to senators and staffers. He tells them it gets 100 to 170 miles per gallon — "and that includes charging the battery every 40 miles or so. And one charge, which takes about four hours, will cost you at the electricity rates in the Washington metropolitan area, at night at about 55 or 60 cents."

see entire article here http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=11002722

2. NoVaSnow

NoVaSnow Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I heard the report while driving in this morning. What a cool job for a lobbyist.

A few weeks ago, I saw the A123 Prius parked in front of my office building in NW Washington.

3. lbligh

lbligh Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I suspect there's a large overlap between Prius owners and NPR listeners. Stories like today's on "Morning Edition" will help create interest in plug-in hybrids among people most likely to buy them.

A tax break would be nice, but mostly I WANT ONE **NOW**!!!!!!!

4. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lbligh @ Jun 13 2007, 09:58 AM) [snapback]460801[/snapback]</div>
    I'm a Prius owner and I listen to NPR, so I agree.

I caught the story about halfway through when they mentioned A123. I pulled up the story as soon as I got into work this morning.