1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Morning Startup

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ranmandx, Aug 11, 2007.

1. ranmandx

ranmandx Junior Member

When i first start the car up in the morning for some odd reason the car somewhat lurches slightly i do have the parking brake on. Is this when the ICE engages the electric motor to regenerate the battery or something? It's not that inspiring on a brand new car.

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Engine shudder is normal in a Prius, but it will be worse if you have the car in "D" with the parking brake set. Leave it in Park until you're ready to move.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait 'til winter! This is something that decreases with time, but still occurs occasionally, and is markedly worse in cold weather. It's usually just the first big shut down of the ICE after the initial warm up phases where it occurs.

You'll get used to it.

4. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Make sure you get any loose teeth fixed before winter!

5. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Perfectly normal for this new car. :)

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you in the habit of getting in, immediately starting the car, and then fiddling around with Things N' Stuff for a few moments before actually moving? This is one more reason to not start the car until you're ready to go. The shuddering will then be absorbed by the motor-generators in motion, and you will be less likely to notice it. For most drivers fuel economy will improve by some trifle, also.

7. ranmandx

ranmandx Junior Member

Yeah i guess i'm just not used to the jerkiness of it yet as it being a brand new car i expected it to be smooth as silk. Actually you know what's funny before buying the prius i was seriously considering a BMW 545i hahah and wanted to get the BMW 335i coupe but passed on the basis that the costs of running them were soo prohibitive but the drivetrain was smooth like butter. Maybe it's a trait of 4 cylinder engines i do not know since i'm used to 6's and 8's

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Aug 12 2007, 01:52 PM) [snapback]494330[/snapback]</div>

8. fred s

fred s New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow that's like comparing an apple to a chicken drumstick. Sure they're both cars, but that's where the similarities end. Weed whacker compared to a zero turn radius lawn tractor. That's how far a prius is from a BMW.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ranmandx @ Aug 12 2007, 06:43 PM) [snapback]494407[/snapback]</div>

9. doubleg2005

doubleg2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fred S @ Aug 13 2007, 03:28 PM) [snapback]494906[/snapback]</div>
    i would give the BMW a little more credit than "weed whacker" status... B)