1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Morning TV on my MFD during commute to work

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by chrisspaulding, May 30, 2008.

1. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ordered the Ultimate Lockpick3 for video on my MFD.
    Now I'm brainstorming the easiest way to get a TV or internet-TV signal for the video input so I [*edit - MY PASSENGER*] can watch the morning news on the MFD commuting to work.

Any ideas to achieve this?
    [*edit -not asking for help to break the law or reduce driving safety. Just asking a technical TV tuner question as it could apply in a safe/legal respect*]
    please spare the risk comments

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We are not really interested in your safety, but I am sure the innocent folk your rear end while watching TV should have our sympathies.

Just listen to the audio, ONLY!

This is an really BAD idea!!!!

KK6PD

3. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    bla bla bla
    I said no risk comments!!!

I (or anyone learning P&G, etc.) have just as much if not more distraction switching between energy & consumption screens than cruising to work with Fox & Friends in the peripheral.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    :crazy:

5. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    qbee42 you grumpy rock climber. I see your helping this be a hater thread.

SlingPlayer mobile? Maybe that will work?

6. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Obviously not, or you wouldn't be doing it.

7. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    these are dense replies (imo) as it's SUCH a similar distraction -if not more- to perform so many other perfectly allowed/accepted MFD tasks while in-motion. Why are you picking on video input?

For future reference, let's assume this is ONLY to be used for my car pool passenger(s).

8. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I understand that you want to break the monotony of your morning commute, but I feel that it is a bad idea as well. I know you say that you "know" the risk, but do you really? What about if you are running on electric, kids playing down the road cannot hear you, you are watching a weather update, unaware of child, then hit the child. I don't know of any PriusChat members that want to help you be reckless. If you do get the t.v. installed, please warn us all of your daily route.

9. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So your dismissing every other MFD in-motion function that causes distraction?
    To post against this idea, in principle, means you've never and will never post in support of an MFD in-motion function on PC(that would require glancing at the screen), which every negative poster here probably has/will. So no more hypermiling tips that may cause a driver to look at their MFD, etc.!!!

I appreciate the concern all around, but disagree with singling out one in-motion feature vs any other. IMO they are all equally dangerous.

Anyone posting negative here have better not defeated your speed sensor!!

P.S. It's not a TV installation, it's video signal input into the MFD, and the question was what's the best way to get a TV signal to the video input

***AGAIN, let's assume this is for my passengers while we carpool

10. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  12. Turbogizzmo

Turbogizzmo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    car-puter with TV-tuner card installed...do not know what everyone is poopoo-ing your question, people watch those tires rotate and all the arrows going to and from the "engines" like they are playing a real life video game might as well get your weather and traffic report while your at it! :)

13. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    there are distractions everywhere, i say bring on the TV, let me know how it goes, i may want to do the same to mine

thanx

14. HighBreed

HighBreed Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well said. Too many parents on in here :madgrin: Geez.

15. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'll take the side of the parents. You kids need to realize that all the other MFD functions can be used with a quick glance for 1/2 second, similar to a quick glance at the rear view mirror or spedometer. Even if you plan to just glance at the TV, the temptation to have somthing catch your eye is too great. I guess we should be releaved you don't want to remove the air bag and mount a video screen in the middle of the steering wheel.

16. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tuning radio, adjusting climate, checking energy: 1 second distraction
    Watching Fox & Friends: 3 hour distraction

NOT THE SAME!

17. Jon1976

Jon1976 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As a Prius owner for only one month, I found the MFD extremely distracting at first. On the ride home from the dealer I almost went through a red light or two. As many of you have pointed out a quick glance is all it takes for any accident to occur. But no matter how we try, we do use the MFD like a video game trying to beat the MPG score. I have the lockpick 3 installed in my car but the only time I have used the video part is watching a movie at the drive-in before the drive-in movie was to start. I'm sure there will be a time when I might use it on the road on long trips for the family. I have used it to dial a number on the bluetooth because I find it easier then fumbling for my phone and trying to dial a number on it. This was one of the main reasons I bought the lockpick to begin with. The video input is a nice add-on but like the MFD we have to learn to use it responsibly.

Jon

18. ForTheGlory

ForTheGlory New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't think Pulse and Glide is really comparable to watching TV. Once you've been doing P&G for awhile you have enough muscle memory built up to *know* where to put the accelerator pedal in order to be in a no-arrows glide without looking at the screen.

19. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Chris,

Here is someone (Premier Mc Guinty) who agrees with your stmt above:

McGuinty Mulls Banning Drivers From Using Cellphones, Electronic ...

TORONTO -Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty said yesterday he is ... legislation" that would outlaw cellphones and other electronics that also cause driver ...
    www.nationalpost.com/todays_paper/story.html?id=541917 - 78k - Cached - Similar pages

St. Catharines Standard - Ontario, CA

... cellphone ban; Premier open to outlawing distracting electronic devices ... Dalton McGuinty: a Premier Disappointment. Dalton McGuinty should be ashamed ...
    stcatharinesstandard.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1044658&auth=Keith+Leslie - 88k - Cached - Similar pages

Province mulls drivers' cellphone ban; Premier open to outlawing distracting electronic devices

Posted By Keith Leslie

Posted 4 days ago

Ontario is considering legislation to stop drivers from using cellphones, BlackBerrys and all other electronic devices while behind the wheel, Premier Dalton McGuinty announced Monday.
    In the past, McGuinty had always rejected the idea of prohibiting Ontario motorists from using cellphones because police have told him the devices were just one of many distractions for drivers.
    But following a recent spate of fatal accidents in which drivers were suspected of being on the phone, McGuinty said Monday he is open to a ban on cellphones and any other electronic device that can takes a driver's eyes off the road.
    "What about people who are tapping on the GPS system? What about the next gadget that they haven't invented yet?" he asked.
    "Some people are text-messaging. What about all those kinds of things?"
    McGuinty said he has asked Transportation Minister Jim Bradley to look at "next-generation legislation" that would be broad enough to cover cellphones, GPS screens, BlackBerrys and electronic devices that haven't even been invented yet.
    "I know what they've done in other provinces and other states: they've just dealt with one item, the cellphone," the premier said. "I talk to the police and they say you could deal with one item, but there's more than just one item (distracting drivers).
    "I've asked Bradley to take a look to see if there's something we might do, which deals with distractors generally, and I think in particular electronic distractors."
    McGuinty said he's always followed the advice of police when it comes to ways to make Ontario's roads safer, and noted the province's highways are already rated the second-safest in North America behind the Northwest Territories.
    Newfoundland and Labrador is the only province so far to legislate a ban on the use of hand-held phones while driving, although similar legislation has been introduced recently in Nova Scotia and Quebec. A private member's bill to ban hand-held cellphones for drivers was also introduced in the Alberta legislature, but Premier Ed Stelmach quickly spoke out against it, and his government put out a study saying a ban would not reduce the number of accidents.

20. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    so i guess drinking a beer and getting some head while driving is not as good as i thought....crap