1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Morning with Toyota Technical

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ToyotaFleetManager, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToyotaFleetManager

ToyotaFleetManager New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just returned to the office after spending most of the morning with some VIPs from Toyota regional headquarters. Here are some of the highlights.

1) As most of you know the reflash of the G3 Prius's brakes has been very sucessful so far. The complete procedure takes around 15-20 minutes shop time.

2) The reflash was designed to improve the feel of a hybrid's brakes as it switches from regenerative braking to friction braking. Technically the brakes on the G3 Prius has been doing the job, the problem was some customers had difficulty switching from a conventional friction braking on ICE cars to a hybrid regenerative's braking feel.

3) Toyota will be reviewing its incentive programs for the next couple of months to help customers. However certain high demand vehicles like the G3 Prius may not see added incentives.

4) The brake override on the throttle firmware should be on all vehicles coming off the production line by the end of fiscal 2010.
    Currently that feature is on the Camry Hybrid

5) Toyota's core customers (those who have purchased Toyotas over the year) is staying loyal to brand and has not waivered.

6) Currently the SKS system will disable the engine while it is running if you press the start button for three seconds. A modification of that feature for a shorter time is being considered.

We went over a lot for a good part of the morning. Toyota is working to resolve this crisis as quickly and as well as possible.

This meeting this morning was somewhat unusal as just a few of us met with a Toyota VP and the regional head of Toyota technical. A considerable amount of information was exchanged.

21 people like this.
  2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Any word on the time it takes to change the pedal? How about the floor mat?

3. ToyotaFleetManager

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To fix the CTS pedal takes approximately 30-45 minutes shop time and pays the technician .7 hours labor.

The floor mat issue will be resolved after the bulk of the CTS recall and the Prius reflash is done. Currently the recommendation stays the same. You can use the Toyota factory carpeted floor mat as long as the retaining hooks are used. Do NOT use the all weather mat, generic floor mats without using the retaining hooks, and no stacking of floor mats.

4. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Facetious? :D

20 sec to install the shim into the CTS pedal. Taking the pedal off the firewall and reinstalling it are the most time consuming efforts. ( Recall #2 )

'Reshaping' the pedal and removing padding under the pedal does take a little time. ( Recall #1 )

Floormats? Zero? Recall for idiots. ( Recall #1 )

I understand that the brake override retro-flashing takes upwards of two hours. ( No recall, Customer Service Campaign )

Since my 2005 works perfectly I'm not letting anyone touch anything. I'll sign the waiver too.

5. ToyotaFleetManager

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My understanding is that when there is a reflash for the brake/throttle override it will likely NOT be a recall but a TSB. There are some models whose ECU's will be difficult to reflash with the brake override firmwear. Priority will be given to Camrys and Avalons on that firmwear update.

6. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess it depends on the definition of a "core customer." I'm sure the Toyota Worshipers will not be phased by any of this (as shown by the polarizing responses here on the board).

The following poll may or may not be of much use, but:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/35333134/site/14081545/for/cnbc/

Kelley Blue Book survey finds Toyota woes driving away would-be buyers

A survey by the Kelley Blue Book says Toyota's massive safety recalls is eroding consumer interest in its models and continuing to drive down resale prices of used Toyota vehicles. The survey found that 27 percent of potential U.S. car buyers who were considering a Toyota prior to the recall are no longer looking to buy a Toyota. Similar sized declines were seen for Toyota's Scion and Lexus brands. Of those that defected from Toyota, the Blue Book study found that 49 percent said they are not sure they will consider buying from the automaker again. The Blue Book estimates that the resale value of cars affected by the Toyota recall will fall an additional 1.5 percent. That is on top if a 1 percent to 3 percent decline Blue Book analysts forecast last week.

7. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As a happy toyota customer, I win! I only own 1 toyota at the moment, but expect to buy more than that in the future. Any decline in value of toyota cars thus more than offsets this 'loss' which I think will be temporary anyway.

8. ToyotaFleetManager

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota's definition of core customer is an individual or family which has purchased more than one Toyota in the past ten years.

9. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Forest and trees.

Toyota's overriding strength is that it looks into the distance better than any of the others. Yes there is going to be a reaction from the buying public in these coming months. How could there not be one given all the publicity and hype.

Two years from now, five yrs from now, ten years from now? This dustup will be long forgotten. Hell, Ford is the current media darling and its Exploders were killing people all over the continent in the late 90s and early part of last decade. That situation was far worse than this angry beehive. All is forgiven with Ford now. Life moves on.

10. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Three caveats to your post:

1. Toyota is number one and Ford was not. It is always easier to attack the front-runner.

2. Ford is a 'home team' and Toyota is not. So far the reaction from the home office in toyota city has been less than spectacular.

3. The possibillity exists for a smoking gun to be found via an errant email or memo. If this pops out, all bets are off.

The toyota dealers I know are the most frightened of the fact Toyota in Japan still does not understand the seriousness of this and #3, the existence of a smoking gun or worse yet, several smoking guns.

11. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for all the good info. I have a small issue with the above statement. The customers are/were not the problem. A factor in the problem sure but not the problem. Its time to stop evading and to step up. Toyota is upgrading the cars software not the customers.

12. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Name 3 and we'll ask them if this is actually so.

13. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    i only know 2 very well. You need evidence, Mr. Toyoda cancelled his trip to the US so he does not have to take any heat.

14. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

yeah, you Chevy dealers understand seriousness of smoking guns a lot better than Toyota ones, eh? haha.

15. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

That's not evidence. That's simply a guess on your part.

16. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Does the re-flash set the car back to default? IOW, are custom settings such as the one tone for backup reset to continuous?

17. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like I can add "Core 4" to my signature tag. ;)

18. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    You've been harping about this since the beginning. Time to put up or shut up.

19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No. Only the ABS ECU is reflashed.

Tom

20. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That is another definition of safety deaf (the evading part)....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.