1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most difficult thing to get used to with your Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Anonymous, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The one thing that I still haven't gotten used to is how short the nose of the car is. I park as close to the wall (office parking space) as I am comfortable with and when I get out, I see that there's still three feet of distance between car and wall. When I park in my garage, I always back too far in and there's loads of space in front but I have to squeeze to get to the rear hatch. I always overestimate. I'll figure it out some day, though, I'm sure. :roll:

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I think you've hit upon it. That's the thing I still haven't gotten the hang of, after more than 6 months.

3. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The solution to that is to attach a little antenna from your licence plate holder and put a small plastic or rubber ball on the top. That's allowed us to park within 6 inches of something... on purpose, that is. :)
    Gary

4. prius04

prius04 New Member

For me it's backing up. I still feel as though I can't see enough.

As for the short nose, I think you can get used to that and over time get better and better at judging the distances.

But I still feel like I'm gonna get creamed when I back up.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dang, Canuck, in Michigan, we don't have front license plates so we don't generally have front license plate mounts.

6. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I like the controls on the steering wheel but I'm having a lot of trouble adjusting to honking the horn.

So many people don't know how to use the side view mirrors so they're always either cutting me off or trying to move over when I am along side them.

7. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't own one yet, but I did rent one for a weekend from Enterprise.

My biggest problem is when stopped at a traffic light or anywhere really. The ICE shuts off. It is very un-nerving. I usually have cars that are junk and when the engine shuts off where it shouldn't it is usually a bad thing. But with the Prius it is normal. My heart skipped a beat every time it did it.

8. annef

annef New Member

I'm surprised at how easily I adapted to the Prius, actually. I'm delighted when the engine stops when I stop. The visibility through the rear window isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm still getting used to the short nose and backing up, but it's only been a few days and I'm sure it'll be fine.

What I do find a tad inconvenient is not always having all the controls immediately available (i.e., having to first push "CLIMATE" or "AUDIO" to get to those controls). I wouldn't say it bothers me, though. I'm just way too in love with the car!

9. longjohn931

longjohn931 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My problem is getting use to driving my other cars (without sks) and buckling up then realizing I have to put the key in the ignition!!!!!!!!

10. gblatt

gblatt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I can't get used to the limited visibility out of the rear of the car. I'm just not used to that flat rear window. With my Corolla, I am able to use the rear view mirror more to see in the blind spots. That's difficult to do with the '05 Prius.

11. forte88

forte88 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My biggest thing is letting strangers drive it like Valet's or Car Wash Attendants. I don't trust anybody and not many seem to know how to drive it or turn it off. The car wash attendants seem to be getting better lately tho. There have been quite a few more Prius' out in recent months. Not a day goes by now without seeing several. That is something I'm not getting used to either... I kinda liked the uniqueness. I see so many now I feel like I'm losing my non-conformist status :|

12. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Great idea! I did that as well, before I bought -- it really made me feel more comfortable when my "Prius came in".

What is surprising is how quickly you'll get used to it. In fact, how quickly it will become comfortable.

With the warm weather, I'm driving around with my windows down; and the quiet at stoplights is just delightful.

Very pleasant to just sit and watch the world go by.

13. dgstan

dgstan Member

I have a real hard time with the blind spot out the back in the rear corner of the passenger side. There's one part of my commute where I have to merge right and it's always a harrowing experience.

I've found a workaround that seems to work pretty well. I just lean forward while looking through the rear view mirror (the one inside the car - not the side view mirrors). I find that I have a pretty good view when I do that.

DGStan

14. gblatt

gblatt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have the same problem on my daily commute where I have to do a high speed merge to the right 2 lanes in less than a mile in order to exit the interstate. It's like theading a needle blind.

15. bethmaup

bethmaup New Member

There are several threads referring to the "blind spot." Here is one:

http://www.priuschat.com/forums/view-out-t...automobile+talk

I was looking for one I saw that had a link to Car Talk (Click & Clack) about a new way to set your rear view mirrors to eliminate blind spots--not seeing the sides of your vehicle at all, but mirrors set in such a way that when a car disappeared from your inside rear view mirror that it would show up in your outside mirrors. Didn't find that thread, but this one includes reference to a similar setting. Perhaps you can go to CarTalk and find the instructions.

Beth

16. smasho

smasho New Member

One of these days, I swear, I'll be able to go out to the car without starting to stick my hand into my pocket to get the keys.

Keys?? I don't need no stinkin' keys. My car knows me.

17. bethmaup

bethmaup New Member

I do miss the space between the front seats in my Grand Voyager, particularly if I have a passenger. I used it for my purse, a trash can, tissues, a drink holder that could adjust to almost any size, etc.

I don't know that the effect of the pillars on visibility is very different from that of those in the Voyager, and I haven't really been able to see the front end from the time I bought the Civic Wagon (in the 80's). Then a Caravan, which did have a Dodge symbol I could see mounted on the invisible hood. I'm so claustrophobic in a car--for the car, not myself--that I do tend to leave too much room. I'm not really comfortable backing up (actually, in any car), so I've taken to backing into the driveway to work on that skill.

I'm happy enough with this car that my husband says that Toyota should pay me a commission and that the Prius is all he hears about.

Beth

18. OverTork

OverTork Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would have to say that visibility was the thing that took the most getting used to. After following the instructions here, http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/mi...rors/index.html , the lateral blind spots are not an issue for me anymore. I am however still adjusting to the limited forward view imposed by the thick A-pillar. This is probably a requirement of the side impact curtain and an inconvenience I'm willing to live with.

19. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My old car had power seats and sometimes I try to reach where the control for that used to be.

Sometimes I still try to reach for a shift lever that isn't there.

20. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

an easy way to back in and get to the proper spot is and you need a helper for about 1 minute, you sit in the drivers seat in your normal position and look out the passenger window at the edge of the mirror and have your helper put a mark on the wall just at the spot where the mirror edge is. Now when you back in just watch the spot line up with the mirror edge and your there. No balls on string hanging from the ceiling, just you and your secret mark.