1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

... Most & Least Reliable Cars In America

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by asjoseph, Nov 20, 2022.

1. asjoseph

asjoseph Samuel, '04 Ruthiemobile

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ... genuine progress in the automotive industry to report, Elon Musk's toaster oven special, right up there with General Motors:

Chart: The Most and Least Reliable Cars in America | Statista

Few months back a few of the guys in the neighborhood got together, to figure out how to re-engineer the fuel delivery system on a neighbor woman's Mercedes Benz such, that it could be parked at an angle, on her driveway (e.g., certain Mercedes models can't restart, when parked on an incline).

She recently sold it, second-hand for a song, bought herself an Avalon Hybrid.

Samuel, '04 Ruthiemobile

ps - ... source:

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/most-and-least-reliable-cars-america

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This article has nothing to do with long term reliability and is more a survey of manufacture quality when it comes to nit-picking wealthy people with mostly silly complaints about their brand new car. But zerohedge has always been annoying like that...

I'd rather see cars rated by user repair-ability, cost of spare parts and vehicle reliability after the first decade. If that was the case the outrageous repair costs for BMW would take it from Top 3 to last.

As for Mercedes, they have fallen so for... Literally transformed into a junk American car but with the luxury of price gouging for people who do repair work on them.

#2 PriusCamper, Nov 20, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
    bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when i think reliability, i think of the car getting me to where i want to go when i want to go.

with todays electronics, there are too many things to rate, and overall, you don't get the sense of basic reliability.
    so i pay no attention to these surveys

Trollbait likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I think reliability I think how good of a car it will be once it's 20 years old.... Or as someone once explained to me that best way to pick a used car model to buy is look around for the oldest cars you most commonly see on the road.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    LOL, no 20 year old cars around here to count. 10 year old maybe, like mine. hardly any gen 2 prius left

6. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where do your Gen II Priuses go? Ours mostly go to the South Pacific - in places like Fiji, pretty much every taxi is a formerly-Australian Prius or a formerly-Japanese Prius.

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have no idea if they get shipped out, or just sold out of the metro boston area. too much affluence (or ignorance) around here to drive older cars.

8. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In inner Sydney, where I spend most of the time, it's kind of similar. But in Broken Hill, where I also spend a lot of time, there are a lot of older cars.

One thing that's interesting relates to what @PriusCamper says -

I'll put aside the Series 70 LandCruisers that dominate the region: it's a big, empty area and a lot of people need something indestructible that can travel on dirt roads - or no roads - hundreds of kms from the nearest person.

In town, the most common older cars are ones that, when they came out, were notorious for having lots of minor niggles. Most common are Ford Falcons and Holden Commodores - the (now extinct) Australian-made Ford and GM large sedans. They were badly-made: they'd have squeaks and rattles, and electronic components would regularly fail. And the paint - even though they were made in Australia for the Australian market - couldn't cope with Australian sun, so they're all peeling now. But they had indestructible, very low-tech engines (a 4.0 straight six in the Falcon and a variety of V6s and V8s in the Commodore, with all but the sportiest naturally aspirated. They suck fuel like 747s, but they don't break, ever. The ones that aren't still being driven around Australia are in South Pacific islands.

PriusCamper likes this.