1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most Popular Accessories

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rfred, Jun 2, 2006.

1. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi!

Our silver '06 pkg. #6 is looking great and running great!

We're worried about protecting our new baby from such things as gravel dings, road salt, door panel dings, and the thousand and one things out there that are going to bring tears to our eyes when they happen. You notice I did not say "if," but "when."

Sooooo, we would appreciate opinions on such things as mud flaps, body side mouldings, front end mask, and interior mats. And if I've left anything out, please don't hesitate to add to my list (I'm still on cloud nine and not thinking well at all.)

And thank you in advance!

2. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've got the side moldings and a rear bumper 'protector' that covers the center of the rear bumper with about 1/2" overhang so you don't scratch your bumper when you rest things against it while opening the hatchback. I highly recommend both.

Other popular accessories I've hearc of are the EV switch and the BT stiffening plate, and I don't have either.

Depemding on where you live, all-weather car mats and maybe cargo mat could be helpful. I have the all weather mats (Toyota OEM ones that say Prius but only come in black) but probably won't put them in until winter's approaching. I'll get an all-weather cargo-mat for then, too, but I'm undecided between something like Weathertech or Exactmats.

I also added leather seats (just got them yesterday) for the elegance and durability.

3. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Jun 2 2006, 09:26 PM) [snapback]264955[/snapback]</div>
    From my signature, you can see what mods I added.

I will suggest Weathertech over Exactmats. I have the Exactmats and regretted not going for Weathertech. The Exactmats are just flat piece of clear plastic, where the Weathertech has small cups in them. With the cups, sand, water, and small rocks will stay in them. With the Exactmats, those things will just roll to the edge, make it harder to clean.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My number one favorite accessory is the BT stiffening plate.

I have the side moldings. Don't know if I'd do that again.

I have the Exactmats and like them.

I had a 3M invisible bra before my hood and fender were replaced.

I have the GT covers.

I think the number two accessory I like the most is are the two styles of cargo nets.

I think a must is a PriusHood to shade the nav screen.

I like the leather console and armrest covers so much I think I'll have those done in leather for real. Not the seats. Just the armrests and center console.

So in order of what I'd do again:

1. BT stiffening plate
    2. PriusHood
    3. Leather center console and armrests.
    4. Cargo nets.

The rest are a toss up for fifth place.

I have a lot more things like decals, license plate frames, etc. but they are for fun.

I'll probably eventually get window tint but it's not real important to me right now.

Oh, and mudguards. Almost forgot about them. Absolutely a must no matter where you live.

5. xxxlmpg

xxxlmpg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rfred @ Jun 2 2006, 08:17 PM) [snapback]264947[/snapback]</div>

Gas is a great accessory every month or so :)

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    mudguards and a cargo net would be my suggestion.

7. Kathleen2

Kathleen2 New Member

Number one accessory mud guards! (This should be standard equipment on the Prius.)

I had to add a bumper protector because I already put a couple of nasty dings on the bumper.

A ten dollar modification accessory (worth its weight in gold) was putting in a back-up buzzer (that can be heard in the back inside and outside); then turning off the front reverse signal.

Installing a Fumoto valve for easier and no mess oil changes. (See having fun changing oil.)

Door edge guards (K-mart special).

I have added emeregency items and tools but these are not neccesarly called accessories.

I’m really thinking of adding wind deflectors to the doors so I can have the windows open slightly during the rain and hot days.

Kathleen

8. eae

eae New Member

Silly question...would the mud flaps change the aerodynamics of the car, and therefore, the gas milage?

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You get some weather from time to time. My number one mod is the 20" wiper for the rear window. Even a few more inches of vision is a god send. I have to say it is simple but it is my number one in usefulness the rest are good but seeing is the best!

10. Kathleen2

Kathleen2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kathleen2 @ Jun 5 2006, 12:01 PM) [snapback]266023[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eae @ Jun 13 2006, 11:19 PM) [snapback]270959[/snapback]</div>
    There is so much air turbulance by the wheels, mud flaps, would make no difference in the aerodynamics. (Would need a wind tunnel to prove it.) However, the real test is that I'm getting 60 MPG.
    Kathleen

11. jclay1965

jclay1965 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The all-weather rubber mats are great--they really keep your floor much cleaner, and it's easy to hose them off when they get too dirty. I also added mudguards and body side moulding. My Prius came with the clear looking rear bumper protector, which I like.

Alas, it's easier to just go ahead and tell yourself that chips, scratches and dings ARE going to happen. I find they usually happen on a new car sooner rather than later. Try not to worry or fret about it too much. As a matter of fact, the second week we owned our new Prius, my partner accidentally scraped the left front fender ever-so-slightly on the garage wall (we have a 3 car garage, with 3 cars, and he simply misjudged the shortness of the front end) and we had it touched up and repaired by a company that does work for a lot of car dealerships in the area, can't even tell anything happened.

Enjoy!

I forgot to mention the rear cargo liner, from weathertech? It's great, like the all weather mats in the rest of the car, keeps dirt and things off the fabric/carpet.

I have had these in all my cars and think they are a 'must-have' item.

12. tenchi_violin

tenchi_violin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rfred @ Jun 2 2006, 06:17 PM) [snapback]264947[/snapback]</div>
    Could you send me a picture about your side moldings, and how did you get that, thanks!

13. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've only one addition so far: the towing hitch, the possibility of which sold the car to me since I can mount and carry my bikes. I got rid of a small SUV (Escape) and the bike rack has sat dormant since. To be able to add this to a small car so easily is great news. It will be installed in two days and I'm anxious to see if it doubles as a stiffening plate, as I read here somewhere, and if the ride imporves any.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Jun 28 2006, 09:51 PM) [snapback]278455[/snapback]</div>

Not that it needs much "imporvement." :blink:

14. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Easy--HOV stickers! :D

15. Tigerops

Tigerops New Member

rfred, I'll keep this simple. I have lots of great mods but the number 1 mod that everyone should have is some form of front end protection. I have a black "leather" bra that now covers up a badly beaten up front bumper. The paint job MUST be redone if I take off the bra. So the $150 that the bra costs will save you $300 for a good paint job later on. I can't stress this fact enough. Plus it doesn't look bad at all. You can also get the clear bra that sticks to it but I'd rather stick with the bra.

After that, I recommend the heavy duty all weather floor mats. I'm in Southern California and I have enough sand, rocks, dirt, ect, that I'm so happy I never have to vacuum all that garbage out of there.

Let us know what you decide to do rfred!

16. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eae @ Jun 13 2006, 09:19 PM) [snapback]270959[/snapback]</div>
    Actually a good question, but the only way to answer it is to put them on and find out. You would have to do some very objective mileage tests both before and after, like driving the same speed over the same road, same weather, using cruise control, etc.etc. If you were careful and collected enough data you would have an answer that would be of value.

The only other way would be to find a friend that has a wind tunnel.

17. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think I'm done with accessory purchasing/installation for now:

*Priushood to shade the mfd in the bright SoCal sunlight B)
    *Cargo tote for rear cargo area (keeps bags of groceries in place)
    *All-weather floor mats for winter use (or use in wet weather)
    *XM radio integration installation
    *Window tint (ok not an accessory, but something I'm sure glad I got)
    *HOV stickers :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jclay1965 @ Jun 14 2006, 10:21 PM) [snapback]271538[/snapback]</div>
    This is true! It's what I told myself when I bought the car in the first place. I believe it has a few small paint nicks, but it's not something I've ever dwelled on so I don't know for sure how many (the car is almost 5 months old). It's bound to happen. I think the guy who washes my car cares more about the small nicks than I do, as he is the one who brought them to my attention. My response to him was, "Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later." B) Unfortunately the Prius isn't going to look perfect and brand new forever.

18. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rfred @ Jun 3 2006, 09:17 AM) [snapback]264947[/snapback]</div>
    Lots of folks are putting bras on the front end. I don't like the idea of having something that can trap grit, rubbing on the paint, so I opted for a hard plastic device that you can install in about half an hour. I've seen them on other cars and they make one for the Prius. I couldn't find one at my Seattle area dealer, but you can get one from Toyotatown in Langley, BC. The total cost, including shipping, was about 45 bucks US.
    The device looks sort of like Salvador Dali's moustache. It sits above the paint, held off the surface by three or four little hemisheric plastic gizmos about the size of a marble. This permits air to flow underneath and prevents the protector from rubbing on the paint. It works very well and also seems to deflect bugs off the windscreen.

There's a photo of one mounted on a yellow Prius taxicab in Vancouver, BC, in the photo album. I also ordered a set of mudflaps from the same Canadian dealer. Very high quality; stiff, so they don't end up folding back in the slipstream.

I pioneered the use of fake cell phone antennas mounted on the front license plate frame. It sticks up just high enough to be seen from the driver's seat and helps you know where the front end is when you are parking or pulling up to a wall or the end of another car.

Happy motoring,
    Bob

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eae @ Jun 14 2006, 12:19 PM) [snapback]270959[/snapback]</div>
    Nope. Nothing you'd be able to measure.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob, you're talking about a front deflector.

The Toyota accessories that I have include cargo mat (i.e. the carpeted one) and all-weather mats. Mudguards, wheel locks and cargo net are standard in Canada.

I debated between the cargo mat (carpet) and cargo liner (rubber). I went with the mat since if there was anything dirty, I'll put it in the bin below. Also, the carpet will absorb some of the road noise since the hatchback configuration tend to make the car louder because you don't have a parcel shelf to dampen the sound.

20. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i love the oem all weather mats... they're filthy right now but all i have to do is hose 'em off ;)

and the mudflaps are definitely a must.

the bra seems to be under a lot of debate but i really enjoy mine. and yes, i'm referring to the one on the car :lol:

i'd also recommend the rear bumper protector if you're ever going to load things into and out of the hatch. my mother would have put one hell of a scratch in my bumper during her last visit when she didn't wait for me and tried to put her suitcase in my car herself.

i lived without seat covers for a while, and ended up getting them later on. the tan seats clean up pretty easily, but i figured it's better to be safe than sorry. i'll spend a couple hundred bucks now to have a great resale value down the road.

i also protect the car with a good wax (zaino, because i don't like to wax more than twice a year) and do a coat of rain-x 3 times a year.