1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Motegi Racing SP10

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by sdtundra, Jul 13, 2009.

1. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, biting the bullet and getting new wheels and tire at the same time. I remember reading on here that stock wheels were around 14.5 pounds or so? If so, Motegi makes the SP10 in Matte Black and Hyper Black at that same weight.

My local dealers said they can get em for $95 in Hyper and $100 for Matte.

What do ya'll think? Also, will 15x7 work on a 185 or should I go to a 195?

Also, the next size up is a 17x7 at 17.2 pounds....o the decisions. Below is the Hyper Black and below that the Matte. Opinions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    look nice. hows the weight?

3. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    14.5 pounds for the 15x7

4. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's really hard to get tires that are lighter than the stock Turanzas (for Touring) so you might want to keep that in mind if weight is a big priority for you (it is for me). The General Exclaim UHP are the only ones that I could find that are lighter.

5. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure if I'm going to go with new wheels now. I was told though that my tires are just about gone. Probably another 2-3,000 left in them. For tires I'm looking at the Kumho Ecsta Platinum LX from Tire Rack for $65 a tire.

6. Reef Keeper

Reef Keeper New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    These are great looking wheels. For me, it's either going to be these or the Enkei GTC01, both in 17s. Do the stock 17s weigh 24lbs including the tire? I wonder how much these SP10 would weigh with tires?

7. FuelSpender

FuelSpender New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    OEM Prius 15 x 6 is 14.2 Lbs
    Prius 16 x 6 is 15 lbs.

I would save and get better wheels like Enkeis or maybe even some forged wheels if you REALLY want a superior, stronger, lighter wheel.

8. Verde

Verde New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Though low weight is important for performance and mileage, superior strength is a lesser concern in a car like the Prius. Between the relatively low weight and modest cornering forces (it will roll over before the g's get too high - though I've not tested this mode), any wheel, barring a history of construction defects, will likely do.
    Oh, and I bet the 17" ones would look really cool. BTW, if you purchase bigger wheels and tires and thus have larger diameter 'rolling stock' on the car, is it possible to reprogram the speedometer computer to compensate?

9. mec0t0

mec0t0 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the 15" Sp10 Hyperblack, they good quality wheels. My combo with 195/60/15 tires is approx 1-2 lbs+ compared to stock set up, I had some LRR Zexius tires on OEM rims before though.

I also looked at 17" but tire selection were limited and I did not want additional weight gain since the 17" tires are also heavier. My 15" SP10 wheels actually look bigger then most 15" wheels out there due the spokes placement to the edge of the rim.

I am happy with the wheels and the Kumho tires have been great. I have more then 6k miles on them so far with approx 2mpg hit compared to my worn LRR Zexius set up.

10. mec0t0

mec0t0 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just went and installed some mud guards and had a chance to weigh the tire and wheel. My SP10 with Kumhos weigh in at 32.5 lbs and the stock rim with Zexius tire (w. 30k miles) is at exactly 30 lbs.

I did a search and it seems that the stock 15" rim with Integrity tire is around 32 lbs and 16" touring set up is 36 lbs. Hope this helps...

Jimbo69ny likes this.
  11. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this is an old thread but thanks for the info mec0t0. The Sp10's are good looking wheels.