1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mother in law drives with one foot on gas and one foot on brake.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Darryl Neudorf, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Darryl Neudorf

Darryl Neudorf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello,

I am a very happy recent (1 month) 2009 Prius owner, and I have a question regarding the potential future health of my mother in law and of my vehicle. She is coming to visit in 2 days and will likely want to borrow our car. She learned how to drive by using her right foot on the gas and the left on the brake. Been doing it all her life so she won't be changing said habit any time soon. My question is: a) Apparently doing this will cut off the power to the car. Should I advise her against driving our car for her own safety?
    b) If she is still able to make the car function with her technique, will this cause undue wear and tear on the car somehow?

Thanks in advance!

Darryl

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My advise is hide your Prius and go borrow a manual transmission car for a few days, that will sort her out. ;)

Ok seriously, that's a terrible driving habit, but I don't see it hurting the prius as it's all "drive by wire". Sometimes people actually deliberately hold a foot on the brake while revving the engine (in "D") to force charge the HV battery. So I don't think the occasional intermittent overlap of brake and accelerator will hurt it.

Rupert B Puppenstein likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    as long as she isn't over 50? no prolemo.:p

4. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Who the heck taught her to drive like that? Wow.

5. Darryl Neudorf

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, good to know, thanks.

Hah! The thought of her driving a manual car is very very scary. I just want to know that my precious new car is safe, (and, well, her too, I guess, hehe).

6. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to worry, If she has done the left foot brake thing all her life, she knows well enough not to ride the brakes.

In close traffic, the right foot on the gas, left foot on the brake actually improves braking raction time. No need to lift your right foot off the gas, move it left and step on the brake, the left foot is already there and ready to step on the brake.

Try it yourself and see how much better control you have in tight manuvering conditions using both feet to operate brakes and throttle.

7. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thats how i drive my prius and A/T cars with no problems at all. its actually fun! started with go karts then applied it to A/T cars. i only do it on M/T cars when i choose to trailbrake a particular corner on a track. the rest is the conventional technique.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oddly enough, when I was browsing teslamotorsclub.com on a different topic awhile ago, I came across Two foot driving. I'm surprised that there are defenders of the practice (when driving an automatic)...

9. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed. I can attest to the advantage of having a better time reacting to a situation as your left foot is already hovering on the brake pedal when an immediate braking situation presents itself. You just have to re-train your brain-left foot coordination for that purpose. Easiest way to do that is have some track time on rental go-karts. When you apply it to everyday driving, you just have to remember to brake gently at first as your left foot is either still accustomed to not pushing on anything or accustomed to jabbing the clutch quickly. With practice, your left foot will soon have the same sensitivity as the right foot in feeling for the brakes. And as one memeber in the tesla forum said, the pedals in the prius are of different height and she almost ran over a pedestrian when her right foot almost missed the brake pedal.

10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok, I'm surprised we had so many closet "both feet fiends" lurking in our midst. :LOL:

I'm pretty sure in Australia (when going for your license test) it's an instant fail if you drive that way!

Agent J likes this.
  11. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If the situation warrants hovering your foot over the brake it might as well be off of the accelerator.

12. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is why rubens barrichello was forever 2nd to schumacher. he was always used to using his right foot to control both pedals even though the engineers pleaded for him to try and use his left foot for the brake because it made more sense (cars designed to having two pedals and people designed to having two feet!) and it showed in the telemetry that he could shave off heaps of time if he did it.

It's not that difficult to re-learn what you've been taught at driving school. it's definitely faster if you apply it on the track, and safer (actually both) if you apply it on the road. transition time between left and right pedal using left and right foot is practically zero versus a couple of tenths if done with one foot. In a high speed braking situation, that couple of tenths could equate to a couple of feet!

just like in music, if you have a bongo in front of you, would you use just one hand to do complex rhythms and fills? Of course not. In fact it's almost impossible to duplicate what two hands could do with one hand. If you were trained to play the bongo with one hand, how easier it would be if you relearned and play with two hands. Our brain is so versatile and intelligent that training it for safer driving by using two feet would be more logical.

13. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And that's why his mother-in-law will be Schumacher to my Barrichello.

How silly.

14. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sammy Hagar Lyrics - I Can't Drive 55

15. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You betcha! She's a cool mother-in-law!

16. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would not let her near my car. Take her were she wants to go . Keep the key in your pocket and remove the battery in your spare FOB.:( H

17. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey what's best out on the track for shoe muncher and the baritone cello isn't necessarily what best for most of us in everyday driving. :)

- For one thing, driving an auto with both feet makes you prone to resting your foot on the bake pedal, with the result of sometimes flashing misleading brake light signals to following drivers.

- Personally I think it can make you more prone to pedal confusion in an emergency.

- And lastly, I know of people who adopted this habit from learners and then ten year later or so they had to learn to drive a manual and they were just complete lost causes.

18. Darryl Neudorf

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow! I had no idea that the two footed technique is actually a valid concept, and potentially cool!! I have newfound respect for my Mom in law. Thanks all!!!!

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the issue comes for the over 50 driver, in a panic situation, the brain tells the right foot to brake instead of the left foot. some call it 'unintended accelleration'.

xpcman likes this.
  20. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have driven manual trans rigs for 50 years and find it no problem at all to go to left foot braking when driving an automatic, never have, and I am 64. I would bet 99.9% of untended acceleration involves the right foot firmly on the gas while the driver thinks it is on the brake