1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

motor kick in when the battery is fully charge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hc167, Mar 25, 2009.

1. hc167

hc167 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have a question and hope someone can answer. I live on a hill. so when I go downhill and at the stop sign, my MFD shows that the battery is fully charged with all eight green bar. and when I am at the stop sign, I did see that the battery is powering the wheel and the MFD show the arrow from the battery to the engine. and I also realize that either the motor or the engine is on. Is this normal? anyone have this experiment??

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's normal, more than likely you're not yet fully warmed up which is why the ICE continues to run.

What I thought you were going to ask is why the engine cycles on and off when the battery is full...that is also normal...it takes a bit of energy to cycle MG1 and crank the ICE. Doing that a few times drains the battery down to a level closer to its "ideal" 60%.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Adding to what Evan has explained, if the battery is charged all the way up to the top limit, the Prius will try to bring the state of charge down. If you are moving, it can do this by using more battery power, but sitting still it only has one option: spinning the engine. The Prius uses the engine as a dead weight and spins it with the electric motor to burn off excess charge. It will spin it, stop, check the state of charge, spin it again, and so on.

It's completely normal.

Tom

4. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This can also happen once the car is fully warmed up but you haven't yet let it do an idle calibration (at least, that's my guess of why this behaviour exists). In that situation, it will start the engine when you slow down from around 30mph.

Slow to less than 6mph, take your foot off the gas, and wait about ten seconds for it to stop the engine. It will then allow the engine to stop below 30mph. Some people refer to this as 'Stage 4' - see Five Stages of Prius Operation.

I've started to see this behaviour more now that I drive in no-battery mode, where possible. (That is, accelerating so that all generated power goes to the motor, and no more; gliding to an upcoming speed limit, junction or traffic light.)

5. hc167

hc167 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I do not understand that. the MFD show that the motor is powering the wheel, whereas I can hear the sound of both engine and motor. So is the motor try to spin the engine to discharge the battery? even if the motor is trying to spin the engine to discharge the battery, I do not see any reason why the engine should kick on unless both MG1 and MG2 are both kick on to discharge.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If it is burning off excess charge, then the engine is not "on", it is simply a source of friction being spun by MG1. In this situation you will hear the engine, but it will not be displayed as running on the MFD, since it is not providing power. The MFD shows power, not whether the engine is running or spinning.

Tom

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can hear the engine in this mode because it's pumping air, a lot of it, under considerable pressure.