1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Motor mount inspection

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 12K monthly, Mar 11, 2018.

1. 12K monthly

12K monthly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2009 Prius that has had some vibration issues only when needing power up long hills when sustained power is needed. It can sustain interstate highway speeds except for hills when it starts vibrating unless I slow down to 60 mph. It has 515,000 miles so I don't want to put too much money into fixing it. I haven't found any videos dealing with the motor mounts on the Prius and am not real sure where to look to inspect them. Was wondering if anyone had knowledge of a video of someone dealing with the mounts or had pictures of where they all are. Thanks

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The way to quickly check the engine mounts on any car is just to load the engine forward and backward and look how the engine moves. In automatic transmission car all you need to do is change the gear between drive and reverse and look while holding the car still with e-brake and/or normal brake while somebody looks at the engine with hood open.

Prius has 3 engine mounts:
    -Right (passanger in US) side (engine) mount is visible from under the hood close to water pump.
    -Rear/under/torque mount is easily visible from underneath.
    -Left/transmission mount is on top of transaxle it can’t be seen without disassembly. But if other two are ok you can easily tell from the engine movement if that is bad (movement would happen mostly on the transmission side).

SDCPs and 12K monthly like this.