1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tags:
  1. CelebrationJoe

CelebrationJoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have 145K on my 2006 and have been changing the oil on a 3K interval using regular standard oil with no leakage or burning. Please give me your opinions on switching to a "high mileage oil blend" or synthetic. I am hoping to get 250K or more out of my 2006. Thank you.

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    apparently you are doing the right thing. i would personally extend the interval to 5,000 miles using quality oil (major brand, API starburst, etc). "high mileage" is only helpful when you leak or burn oil. synthetic oil is not the best choice on old tired engine (can increase oil consumption).

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you're not consuming a lot of oil, there's no point in going to oil described as "high mileage". The dirty secret of those oils: they swell (rubber) valve guides. Once you start using such oils, return to regular oil will cause the guides to shrink back, with much higher oil consumption.

4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I started using Castrol GTX High Mileage oil in my old Toyota Corolla at about 160k miles after it had started to use oil (slightly), the GTX HM fixed the problem and I drove the car to 292k miles at which point it failed the state-inspection (body corrosion), but the engine still ran as sweet as ever, and started first time, every time!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.