1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Motor Trend: War of the Worlds

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Oct 2, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/alfa-romeo/giulia/2019/tesla-model-3-vs-jaguar-i-pace-vs-alfa-romeo-giulia/

. . .
    A walkie-talkie hisses for a moment, and then "The Jag suddenly put on its emergency brakes and sent me off the track." Wait, what? The Motor Trend testing staffers eyeball each other. For the past two hours, Randy had been chasing software curveballs.
    . . .
    "At least it wasn't just us," mutters a Tesla-hatted voice behind me. Earlier, the Tesla Model 3 Performance with Track mode didn't exactly stop as planned approaching Turn 10, going straight off at 90 mph, then bouncing through the bumpy desert terrain.
    . . .
    Bringing together two trackable battery-electric vehicles to challenge the best classical internal combustion sport sedan in the world right now—the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio—would be the beginning of a battle for the ages.
    . . .
    [Tea rjw] Leaf One tilts toward Tesla: The 505-hp Alfa's 0-60 time is 3.8 seconds; the 450-hp Model 3 clocks at 3.3—its dual-motor AWD launches it like a rail gun. Leaf Two, to Alfa: The Giulia clings to corners like sweaty underwear, pulling a 0.98 g skidpad compared to the Model 3's
    0.95. Leaf Three, pick 'em: The Tesla stops shorter—but fractionally so. Leaf Four, mox nix: Their figure-eight lap times are identical at 24.2 seconds.
    . . .
    The Model 3's time appears on my screen—1:23.97. A production-car EV record. A blink quicker (0.07 second) than the Mustang GT Performance Pack 1. Process that. The Mustang GT PP1.
    . . .
    [I-Pace rjw] a 1:27.00. No MiEV, but not bad for a 5,000-pound, five-passenger crossover that's quicker than the Golf R
    . . .
    [Alfa rjw] just laid down a 1:22.78. That's 1.12 seconds quicker than the Tesla.
    . . .
    Half of each [Alfa rjw] tread block's rubber is gone after two sets of three hard laps. The Tesla engineer points to his car's Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss that are at worst scuffed. "We could do that time if we were willing to destroy our tires," he says.
    . . .
    the I-Pace's front motor is permanent-magnet, which makes it impossible to be depowered during light-load cruising; the Model 3's front motor is an induction type for this very reason.
    . . .
    But think of the Tesla's Track mode as version 1.0.

Fear 2.0.

This is a well written article and I've only posted appealing highlights. But there is one that I throughly enjoyed having nothing to do with track time:

The other day, I read Bob Lutz espouse that "Tesla has no tech advantage, no software advantage, no battery advantage. No advantages whatsoever." With all due respect, Bob, that's bull.

Bob Wilson

markabele likes this.
  2. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Motor Trend:
    At this moment, in the first battle in the BEV versus ICE war to come, the romantic, beautiful, turbocharged V-6-powered Alfa is still a blink or two quicker than its electric rivals. But think of the Tesla's Track mode as version 1.0.

Fear 2.0.
    Elon will not be happy until he completely shreds the Alfa...............via OTA updates...........within weeks. Take that Alfa.