1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Motorcraft synthetic blend oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dvancleve, Feb 25, 2007.

1. dvancleve

dvancleve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Howdy folks.

Based on recommendations here I decided to go with the Motorcraft 5w20 blend for my every 5K miles/6 mos. warrantee oil changes. I see that Motorcraft also has a 5w30 synthetic blend. My Prius is a 2006 and 5w30 is the recommended viscosity. Is the 5w30 similarly good, or am I better sticking with the 5w20? When the warranty is up, I will probably go to a longer drain interval and a full synthetic, but this seems like a good choice for now.

Thanks, Doug

Edit: I just noticed that while I saw the 5w30 Premium Synthetic Blend in the store, I don't see it on the Motorcraft website...

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< I prefer to stay with the Toyota-recommended viscosity. In my '04 Prius, I changed to Mobil-1 5W30 at 10,000 miles and plan to do likewise on my 2007 Touring Edition traded for in November.

Why would you want to "second-guess" the Prius' manufacturer in regard to viscosity?

3. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doug Van Cleve @ Feb 25 2007, 11:14 PM) [snapback]396525[/snapback]</div>
    Also might want to consider the extended warranty available here on PC (same Toyota warranty, much cheaper than the dealer offers)...

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The 5W-20 appears to be a good choice for the Prius. I've been using Mobil 1 0W-20 as a "winter" oil and have had great used oil analysis reports, so I'm thinking of running it year round.

A lot of Ford and Honda vehicles require the use of a 5W-20/0W-20. Not only is there a slight fuel economy benefit, wear is usually lower due to faster lubrication. I suppose one could make the arguement that there is something "special" about a Honda motor, compared to a Toyota motor, but what about a Ford motor? Especially a V10 in a motorhome.

If convenient, could you please submit a used oil analysis after the first oil change interval running the 5W-20? It would be useful to build upon the used oil database here on priuschat

5. dvancleve

dvancleve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks jayman :^)

LongRun apparently has a fair amount of experience with the Motorcraft 5W-20 in the Prius. He might already have analysis results.

Doug

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Feb 27 2007, 07:23 PM) [snapback]397529[/snapback]</div>

6. dvancleve

dvancleve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Howdy folks,

Just finished my second oil change using the Motorcraft 5w20 blend oil. I am still wondering if the 5w30 of the same is equally good or if there is something special about the 5w20... From what I have read in these forums, the 5w20 is an extraordinarily good oil that is really cheap. Toyota does/did say 5w30 for my car (2006, not sure if anything changed in 2007), so if it is equally good it might be a more sensible choice for me. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Doug

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doug Van Cleve @ Feb 25 2007, 11:14 PM) [snapback]396525[/snapback]</div>

7. smokey1

smokey1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doug Van Cleve @ Jul 13 2007, 11:03 PM) [snapback]478471[/snapback]</div>
    You can get the MOTORCRAFT Synthetic Blend in a 5w-30 or 5w-20 at local WALLY MART for $2.32 a quart , at least in our area . You could always stock up on the PENNZOIL PLATINUM for $1.99 a quart after mail in rebate available at a nearby PEPBOYS . We've bought oil with rebate and received it , you can track the rebate process at the PEPBOYS website . Took little less than week to get rebate check after being mailed out , whole process took about 5 weeks or so . Check out BOB IS THE OIL GUY for the PENNZOIL PLATINUM U.O.A.s , etc.. We just purchased bunch of the PLATINUM in 5w-30 and plan to pour it our '07 PRIUS in less than a few weeks . GOOD LUCK

8. dvancleve

dvancleve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Update: not scientific or mathematical at all, but I have had the 5w30 Motorcraft in the Prius for at least one oil change cycle (might be two, I forget...) and I haven't noticed any decrease in fuel economy compared to the 5w20. Since the manual calls for 5w30, I guess I'll stick with it.

Doug