1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Motorist critically injured in crash at Nisqually I-5 onramp

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DaveinOlyWA, Apr 18, 2006.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    another Prius a 2001 bites the dust. driver had to be cut out of the vehicle.

read about it.
    http://www.theolympian.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...NEWS01/60418013

or watch the video. Prius got wedged under the overpass. i really cant see how the driver survived. looks like the integrity of the Prius didnt allow the roof to be sheared off by the overpass. too early to tell how well off he is.

http://www.theolympian.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...IMEDIA/60417070

*edit** an update...looks like the Prius saved another life.

published today in an update an hour ago
    http://www.theolympian.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...NEWS01/60418013

Rescuers had to use equipment to cut open the 2001 Toyota Prius and remove Schaibly, who was conscious and communicating with emergency personnel.

Schaibly was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle with what looked to be head, chest and left-side injuries, Patrick said.

Hospital spokeswoman Susan Gregg-Hanson said he was taken to surgery. He remained in critical condition in intensive care late Monday, a nursing supervisor said.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Glad to hear that he's ok.

Really surprised that all the EMCs were not electrocuted to death extracting him. I figured they would have been considering last year all the normal rags were predicting first-responder deaths due to hybrid accidents.

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

You know, it's kinda hard for me to believe the Prius was responsible for saving a life in this case, unless we knew how other cars might perform under the exact same circumstances... For all we know, a Chevy Geo might have allowed him to walk away...

:ph34r:

4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 18 2006, 11:07 AM) [snapback]241584[/snapback]</div>

anything is possible, wanna try it??

5. Red Ginger

Red Ginger New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Apr 18 2006, 06:32 AM) [snapback]241521[/snapback]</div>

[advance apologies from a newbie for what may be a double posting]

Anyone else share my reaction? This reporting seems both callous and crass. The fellow is critically injured, for goodness sakes, and they care about the traffic caused by the accident? And why does anyone care that the overall traffic impact was minimal, especially after the fact?

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the injuries in the accident were actually fairly minor from the last report update.