1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Motorola E815

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Susan5s, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Susan5s

Susan5s Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Has anyone had experience with the Motorola E815, the upgrade to the Motorola 710? I would like to keep Verizon service and I would like to finally use the Bluetooth capability. I never wanted to get the 710 after reading all the posts about it here and on PriusOnline.com. I also understand that the slightly more expensive LG 8100 is about to be released. Any advance info from anyone? Should I wait for the LG or just order the Motorola?

2. mss

mss New Member

As luck would have it, I just purchased this phone today. Let me tell you, I really like this phone a lot. I think ergonomically it is much better than the 710, plus it has a lot of really cool features I may never use.

I went from the LG-6000 which was degrading significantly in terms of call quality and reliability. I routinely drive through marginal reception areas and this phone already does a much better job picking up and holding on to a signal, from what I saw today, than the 6000 ever could.

It took me a few minutes to figure out how to pair up the phone with the car using the bluetooth profile. This is really a great feature and well worth waiting for the right phone to make this happen. I could not transfer any phonebook entries and Verizon tech support said this was not possible since the contact transfer feature is disabled due to "an unacceptable level of security in the profile due to Motorola" using his words. Not sure I fully believe this, but who am I to argue otherwise. He also said it was not possible on the 710, but I will research this forum to see if this is true. I thought people here transferred names using the 710 from Verizon.

I really like how the phone and car now see each other when I power up. I can switch between the hands free car system, and just using the headset fairly easily. I have not had the pleasure of experiencing the call waiting dropped call syndrome, but I do plan to test this out soon.

This feature of the Prius is much cooler than I thought it would be and highly recommend anyone find a bluetooth phone as their next cell phone replacement if they have the NAV system in the Prius.

I need to learn the phone and experiment to see what else is possible, such as voice dialing, etc.

I will post anything interesting that I find here.

3. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mss\";p=\"104435)</div>
    That is true. I have a V710 with the latest s/w, have done all of the seem edits yet PB transfer is still not possible. Basically, the car waits for the phone to send contacts while the phone expects the car to have the requisite profile to suck the data out of the phone (like the new Bimmer models).

The E815 may be a different story, though. There's talk that a seem edit may actually re-enable what Verizon has disabled, namely OBEX. So there is a glimmer of hope at this point.

4. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Let me know if the seem edit for the e815 will help it work with transfering addresses for the Prius. I like the Verizon service and have the v710, but would love to transfer the phone book.

5. tag

tag Senior Member

Well, some folks have, in record time, ostensibly been able to get OBEX working on their MACs. A short time later, a few others have reported that it worked on their PCs after a seem edit.

Even more encouraging is the owner of a Parrot car kit who reported that his E815 paired with the kit and the PB transfer started automatically where before, with his V710, he was unable to transfer the PB (although everything else functioned properly).

On the (severe) downside, however, is a new E815 owner with a Lexus who reported no PB transfer, no way, no how. OTOH, I don't think he did anything other than take the thing out of the box and give it a shot and it's just not going to work without a seem edit.

6. Susan5s

Susan5s Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks, everyone, for your quick replies. Sounds like the 815 is a big improvement over the 710. What is a seem edit? Is that a sw patch?

BTW, from what I read on PriusOnline, the PB was transferrable with the 710 but only one number at a time. I also understand OBEX is still disabled on the 815.

The LG VX8100 is supposed to be released tomorrow. I don't expect anyone to have info on it by then, but I'm thinking about purchasing it and letting you all know how it goes. Verizon gives you 15 days to return it.

FWIW, here's my personal take on some of the features: I'm very computer literate, very technology oriented - otherwise, I guess I wouldn't be driving a Prius! But really, I don't need - nor do I wish to pay for - a phone that takes pictures or plays games or even connects to the Internet. I would love a phone that just makes/receives calls really well and can do it through my car. Just my 2 cents.

Happy summer!

7. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Susan5s\";p=\"104530)</div>
    A seem is a nonvolatile part of memory in the phone. Changing a seem will enable or disable certain functionality and doing so requires downloading and installing software for that purpose.

As an aside, there have been an overabundance of posts (here and elsewhere) in which posters have absolutely trashed the V710. They are unwarranted, IMHO, and a severe overreaction, basically brought on by one shortcoming; no phonebook transfer to the Prius.

I, for one, have had my V710 for well over 6 months and have had ZERO problems with the phone except, as mentioned, no phonebook transfer with the Prius. Other than that, my V710 has performed flawlessly both on its own and in conjunction with the car.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Susan5s\";p=\"104530)</div>
    Okay, the problem here, assuming you're going to stick with Verizon as you stated earlier, is that the only "low-end" Bluetooth phones (in terms of price) Verizon offers are the V710 and E815. Purportedly, you'll have to shell out a few more bucks for the 8100 and a lot more for Verizon's hybrid BT phones (e.g. the Treo 650).

So, that leaves either moving to another carrier or sticking with Verizon and getting a V710 or E815. Although the jury is still out on whether the E815 can be hacked to provide PB transfer functionality, it's doubtful the V710 will ever have that functionality.

8. dixie_cox

dixie_cox New Member

I agree that the V710 is a good phone, but it is mightily disappointing that the PB cannot be downloaded into the Prius. Thanks in advance to anyone who can work out and share how to transfer phone numbers from an e815 or the new LG. That would be worth buying a new phone IMHO.

9. tag

tag Senior Member

Just FWIW, I'll post Verizon's BT functionality matrix for the E815 below. Note that the PB transfer is for the stock phone (i.e. no hacks).

[web:f152b06707]http://dts.vzw.com/pdf/Motorola_carkit_e815.pdf[/web:f152b06707]

10. tag

tag Senior Member

11. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    www.pcsintel.com quotes the following from www.vzw.com :

12. tag

tag Senior Member

According to the Bluetooth Qualification web site, the phone has both the OPP-Client and OPP-Server profiles in its current iteration. However, I recall that the phone initially qualified with full OBEX.

Thus, I don't know. I'd like to think it will just be a matter of time before someone with the requisite knowledge is able to fire off a hack.

13. Poppajack747

Poppajack747 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the phone book transfer doesn't work with any or few of these Bluetooth phones, then what is left? It appears that one can use the phone hands-free but only after dialing through the phone, not through the car. Is that it?

14. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Being able to use a hands free without an earpiece is great. Works well as a speakerphone- with two of us in the car, we can both talk to the person we called. That is great.

15. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Since I'll be able to "upgrade" in September, I'm interested in what this one can do. I want to stay with Verizon and don't have a lot of numbers anyway.

16. tag

tag Senior Member

Since you won't be upgrading until September and would like to stay with VZW, it's a no-brainer; you can rule out the V710 and go with either the E815 or the VX8100.

Nearly every report I've read, heralds the E815 as an incredible phone. However, at this point PB transfer doesn't appear to be possible and won't be until someone is able successfully hack the phone for that purpose.

Currently, no one really knows whether or not the VX8100 will have PB transfer functionality nor how it will compare to the E815 in terms of RF. Time will tell, though, and all of the foregoing should be well known by the time you're ready to upgrade.

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    E815 will be better because its newer technology. better voice recognition, VCAST capability, etc.

will you ever be able to transfer files by BT...very doubtful.

if you could there would be nothing stopping you from transfering pictures either. then they lose a revenue stream. so... wont happen.

18. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"106208)</div>
    Well, here is what definitely does not work at this point:

Transferring files phone to phone, from the phone to a BT-enabled PalmOS PDA, and, of course, from the phone to a Prius.

However, E815 owners who have done the latest seem edit are already transferring files via BT from and to their BT-enabled desktops and notebook computers and their BT-enabled Pocket PC PDAs. So, not all BT transfers are a no-go......just the ones many of us have been waiting for.

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    so you CAN transfer pictures taken by YOU to your computer?

if so that would be a surprise...now realize that since its a VCAST phone, those videos should be transferable since you are paying for them. (remember the VCAST option is like $15)

20. tag

tag Senior Member

Yes, you can, apparently. Those who have done the seem edit on their E815s have reported having the ability to transfer files back and forth between their PCs and their phones via BT.

However, that isn't even an issue for me with my V710 as I can also transfer files between my V710 and my PC via BT. The only difference is I have to use Mobile Phone Tools (MPT) to do so whereas those with a seem edited E815 don't.