1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Motorola ROKR

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by trenapt, Nov 19, 2005.

1. trenapt

trenapt New Member

Anyone tried the ROKR yet with Prius? I am eligible for a phone upgrade 11/22 on my Cingular plan and have been narrowing it down to it and the RAZR. My local Cingular rep says they are probably dropping the V551 soon because of all the software problems they have had with it and Moto has been latent in fixing them. I kind of wanted to stay away from the SE models because they require you to buy all their accessories, which are generally more expensive and not compatible with anything but Sony products.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    should be ok since it's based on the RAZR. I know a few people here have connected with the RAZR with minimal problems. Hmm, I think it's best to find the old posts. I really can't remember if that phonebook issue applies to the RAZR.

3. trenapt

trenapt New Member

Thanks Tideland. I read up and the RAZR will not transfer all entries at same time, but I think I read in past where none of the Moto's do. It doesn't bother me to do them one at a time. The car is still very new to me, so I don't mind sitting, spending time in it! ;)

4. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you're looking at the ROKR, I'd also suggest you look at the Sony Ericsson W600. It doesn't integrate with iTunes, but it doesn't have a 100 song limit, seems to be a generally nice phone than the ROKR.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=761

5. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

I think there is a new Razr with itunes on the way Razr V3i due out soon but have not seen any definate dates... I just dought a Razr V3 today, old sprint phone crapped out and figured I would go with one that will work with the Prius. Good luck on your decision.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What's the diff btwn that and the ROKR then?

7. trenapt

trenapt New Member

The Sony is too expensive and not offered by my Cingular carrier at this time. You have to have a Sony VAIO computer to download the MP3's from SE models. I have Gateway and Dell computers and don't plan to buy any more. :) Sony always rooks you into buying a bunch of their accessories to run their stuff...they know how to make the money! ;)

I will check into the ROKR V3i, but doubt it will be available soon here, as I was talking to my local Cingular manager last week and he was giving me the heads up on a SE coming soon, maybe the one you mentioned, but no new RAZR's.

Thanks for the info!

8. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Cingular will be carring the SE within a week or two. And you don't need anything other than a PC or Mac to put MP3s onto the phone or move them off. I don't know about the new SLVR + Itunes, but it definitely is a better phone than the ROKR.

9. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you're referring to the Sony/Ericsson phone I mentioned above, there is one big difference and a few minor differences.

The big difference is there is no limit on the number of songs you can have on the SE phone. With the ROKR you are limited to 100 songs. With the SE you can have as many songs as you have memory. The SE also is USB 2.0, so if you're going to move music to it, it should be much quicker than the ROKR (USB 1.1).

The SE also has a slightly nicer camera (1.3 MP vs VGA) and it supports EDGE which means higher data rates if you do any mobile browsing or messaging.

The only bad thing about the phone is the lack of memory expansion. You have to step to the next model up for that. The ROKR lets you expand memory as much as you want, but you're still stuck with that 100 song limit. :) The ROKR also syncs with iTunes, where as the SE is just a "drag and drop" deal to add your MP3s to the phone. If you have a lot of iTunes purchased songs, you'll need a ROKR or a SLVR + iTunes to really take advantage.

The ROKR (and I'm not sure about the SLVR + iTunes) also has crippled BT, no doubt on Apple's request. I figured I should mention that because Cingular doesn't normally cripple phones and it could be a rude shock to anyone who doesn't know it will be crippled.

One final edit/thought: Unless you need iTunes sync, there are tons of phones that will happily play MP3s. I have a Nokia 6620 (replaced by the 6682) with a 512MB card in it. I also have a nice MP3 player in it, and it does the job just fine. It's also an EDGE phone, and I've got RealPlayer on it, and it does streaming audio and video just fine (it's neat to watch BBC news when you're waiting for a flight or otherwise stuck sitting around). It also does full email, runs a genesis emulator, and so on. Fors a geek phone, you can and will not do better than a Nokia phone running Series 60. :)

10. trenapt

trenapt New Member

JonnyCat26: Sorry, I had just been told by my Cingular guy that I would HAVE to have the Sony Vaio to transfer MP3's (not for ringtones, but to listen to full audio songs). I will have to ask about it again, then. So frustrating...this was supposedly a manager, too.

What is SLVR??

I would like the nicer camera... and it seems that SE's might work better with the Prius. Regarding the # of songs, 100 would be plenty for me. I would likely only use that option when on planes, or an occasional Dr's waiting room! :). So MP3's are not my big priority, just a reason to get the ROKR over the RAZR. I really prefer the slim, black RAZR in flip style over the bar style, thick silver ROKR.

What do you mean by crippled BT??

Thanks for all the info!

11. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    SLVR == non flip version of the RAZR. It looks really nice, but again it's not a flip. Supposedly the iTunes version will support bluetooth headphones, which would be sharp. There's also a PEBL coming out, which is a rounder version of the RAZR. Motorola's names are IMO, CRAP. :)

The manager is very much mistaken. You absolutely would not need a vaio to make it work. Why on earth would SE do something so stupid as to sell a phone that only a very specific (and not very popular computer) will work with. It's just a mass storage device, drag and drop your MP3s and you'll be fine. Review is available here : http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Id=1781&source=BROWSER

The ROKR does not support OBEX exchange via bluetooth (my guess is apple didn't want people sending and receiving songs). That's what I was referring to by crippled bluetooth.

12. trenapt

trenapt New Member

OK, now my ignorance will really be showing.... what exactly is OBEX? Does this mean I wouldn't be able to transfer phone numbers to the Prius at all?

And I thought the reason SE would do such a thing as require the Sony VAIO was because they always do that with their products. E.g., if you buy a Sony camera, you must use Sony memory sticks, cables that only fit the Sony, etc. They make their profit by being technologically advanced and then making you buy a bunch of accessories too.

13. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    OBEX is the acronym for Object Exchange. It is required in order to transfer data from the phone to the Prius phone book.

Wireless Glossary

14. trenapt

trenapt New Member

Yikes. Thanks, IsrAmeriPrius. But I could still enter phone numbers into Prius by hand, right?

15. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Unfortunately, it is not possible to manually enter names and phone numbers into the Prius phone book. You can save up to seventeen numbers (but no names) from the incoming and outgoing call logs to the One Touch speed dial screens. Some creative members have associated points of interests in the Navigation system with phone numbers. There are instructions elsewhere on the site on using a Bluetooth equipped laptop computer to populate the phone book.

16. trenapt

trenapt New Member

Thanks for the reply. I have emailed someone at MobileBurn to check into the syncing process further. Both phones (ROKR & RAZR), in their reviews, seem the same with this respect. You have to buy a sync software, it sounds like. This stuff is all over my head, but it seems that these are the phones offered by my local Cingular carrier that will work for me. I really hate to spend more money than they cost and would like to get one ASAP, which would be Tuesday. Wish me luck!

17. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

You can also transfer a phone book using a PDA

18. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    <hijiack thread>

I have two sony cameras - a Mavica CD-350 and a F-828. Both use standard Mini USB connections. I use the same cable for my palm pilot and my flash reader. The charging cable is specific to sony cameras, but my chargers work on both cameras. I might note that my HP laptop, Dell laptop, IBM laptop and Sony laptop all use completely different, (and in the Dell's case proprietary) power cords. My iPod is the only USB device I own that doesn't use a standard cable for communication.

The F-828 camera supports both memory stick and Compact Flash. The Mavica will use a CD from any manufacturer, though it does give a warning message for non Mavica CD brands. Both cameras use the same form factor battery, the Info-Lithium, which also works with all Sony camcorders. By and large, Sony does a good job making compatible equipment.

A Sony phone will work with any brand of computer that has USB.

</hijack thread>

19. trenapt

trenapt New Member

Thanks, engunneer. I was speaking from my past experience with Sony products, which has been awhile. Maybe they have changed over the past few years or maybe I bought the wrong items? ;) I still don't understand why the Cingular guy told me that. I'll certainly check into it tomorrow.

20. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They could have been misinformed, or they could be trying to sell you a phone that's available now as opposed to one that's going to be available in a few weeks.

And keep in mind you can use *any* GSM phone that uses Cingular's frequencies. You don't necessarily have to go through their store.