1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mount Wolbox 840S somewhere other than on mirror?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by pasadena_commut, Jul 23, 2023.

1. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My son had a Wolfbox 840S on a Corolla, but that car is now defunct, and his new vehicle is a diesel Ford F350 truck with cameras everywhere. So the unused Wolfbox is available. I'm thinking of putting it on our 2007 Prius (after buying a new rearview camera and wire, that went with the other car.) The thing is, this mounts by being strapped to the stock rear view mirror, and I'm not sure that is such a great idea, because that mirror is just glued to the windshield. Seems like it might be too much weight for the existing mount. I don't use the glasses holder in the headliner. If that was disassembled, is there anything solid up there to which this dashcam could be mounted? For bonus points, anything nearby which is +12V when the car is on? One of the lights, I'm guessing, if it can provide enough current. The supplied adapter outputs 5V at 3000mA, so it probably pulls around 1.3 A at 12V.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If it were a Henway, I would know the answer.

3. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't understand. Googles "Henway". Do you mean the Henway as used in knock knock jokes and the like? If there is a Henway back up camera or dash cam I could not find a reference to it. (Were you fishing for the response "What's a Henway?"?)

Admittedly I did typo the title, it should have been Wolfbox G840S, not Wolbox 840S. Spelled Wolfbox right in the body but still left off the G there.

Anyway, it is one of these:

https://wolfbox.com/products/wolfbox-g840s-12-4k-mirror-dash-cam-2160p-full-hd-smart-rear-view-camera-mirror-dash-cam

The mirror part weighs something close to 0.1 pounds. Not sure what the Prius mirror weighs (as it is currently glued to the window), but I have a spare Accord rear view mirror (with the mounting stalk attached) and it weighs about the same as the Wolfbox mirror. So mounting it would roughly double the load on the glue at the windshield. (That Accord mirror has deglued itself twice from the windshield . In my view it is already too heavy for that sort of mount.)